Bloom: Sustaining the Lifestyle SFA Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There are so many things to look forward to in the spring. We have sunshine, the rec pool, picnic day, whole earth festival, and more. Events on campus are always coming up and one that shouldn’t be missed is this year’s fashion show. The Student Fashion Association is hosting their annual fashion show on Friday April 13 at 7pm. The Show will take place in the ARC Ballroom and is the result of months of planning, preparation of our peers in the club.

The theme centers around sustainability – something everyone of our readers can be excited about. The official title is “Bloom: Sustaining the Lifestyle” and the inspiration came from a growing sense of environmentalism and sustainability, not just within the club, but on a societal level. Our campus is actually one of the top 10 greenest college campuses in the nation, so it’s definitely part of the collective mindset.

This theme can mean making garments out of recycled or sustainable materials, or it could also have a more personal meaning for a designer. Perhaps this could translate into supporting a small town like Davis by shopping at local businesses, thus helping to sustain our community. The club is composed of 25-30 members who have been working on the show week after week.

Funding for the fashion show is all student based. SFA has sold handmade Hershey kisses roses and lollipops shaped as flowers, teddy bears, and hearts for their Valentine’s day fundraiser. With the help of Sodexo, the group plans to host more fundraising to help with the cost of designers, models, fabric, and renting the location. Because the event doesn’t have any sponsors, this a great way for students in the community, especially those interested in the arts and in fashion to give back and help the textiles and design major.

The designers are all local and work in the Northern California region. Many of them are students and some are actually UC Davis students! Some of the models have previous experience or current modeling experience, but most of them look forward to being part of a new and fun experience.

An attendee can look forward to a handmade runway backdrop constructed from recycled materials which include paper, plastic, and cardboard. This resourceful idea was inspired by our theme of sustaining the lifestyle with the concept of reusing our resources. Besides a great fashion show with extremely talented designers, people can look forward to a raffle, a nice reception with refreshments, and some entertainment mixed in!

Pre-sale tickets are $8 and tickets at the door will be $10.

This is a great opportunity for fashion lovers to see what their peers have been doing all year long!

Photo credit: Google

Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!