The Best Places to Eat on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

In 2012, UC Davis was ranked number 18 on the list of “Best Colleges for Food” by The Daily Meal.  On top of the great meals found in the dining halls, UCD offers a huge selection of food celebrating different cultures. Instead of bringing your breakfast or lunch to class this week, treat yourself to a fresh, hot meal or a sweet treat from one of these delicious vendors.

La Crêpe

The southern tip of our campus, otherwise known as the Silo, has a large variety of eating establishments. If you’re looking for a savory meal, try the “Ham, Mushrooms, and Cheese” crêpe from the small, authentic stand on the first floor. Of course, my personal favorite is the classic Nutella crêpe, smothered in a hazelnut chocolate spread.

Shah’s Halal Food

Shah’s is one of the food trucks located right outside the Silo. Inspired by the famous New York City food carts, Shah’s serves fresh and hot Mediterranean food. One poll revealed that everyone’s favorite dish is the “Mixed Over Rice” plate, which is a combination of lamb, chicken, rice, lettuce, and a white yogurt sauce. You can also ask for some Sriracha spread if you like spicy food.  If you plan on getting food from Shah’s, it’s better to go when classes are in session. That way, you don’t spend too long waiting in line.

TXMX Grill

Located at the Memorial Union right next to the quad, TxMx Grill offers quick and convenient Mexican food. They have burritos, salads, and burrito bowls. Best of all, customers have total control over what kinds of ingredients they want. I strongly recommend their breakfast options, especially the breakfast burrito. The line will be fairly short because it is still morning, and you can choose between a bacon burrito (eggs, potatoes, bacon, and cheese) or the veggie burrito (swap the bacon for black beans).

Junction Convenience Store

If you find yourself on the northwest side of campus around the Segundo dorms, stop by the Junction. It’s a food mart that has everything from sandwiches to fruit to candy. Go in the afternoon or at night if you want to try their delicious, giant ice cream sandwiches. You can choose any two freshly baked cookies and ice cream flavors. These sweet treats are the perfect way to celebrate the end of a long day.

UC Davis’s food choices cater to everyone’s needs, so treat yourself to an on-campus meal every once and a while. You deserve it! 

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!