Back to the Future: Hollywood’s Greatest Film of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As a young girl, there was always one question that continuously stumped me: What’s your favorite movie? Whether it was used as an icebreaker question on the first day of school or as a way for my friends to learn more about me, I would quickly blurt out the phrase “I don’t have one” without a second thought. 

At the ripe age of 11 years old, I will never forget the Saturday night when my dad called me downstairs to show me his newest purchase of the Back to the Future: The Complete Trilogy DVD set. After explaining the logistics of what has been his favorite movie since the age of 11, he decided it was time for me to embark on the journey of time travel with Marty and Doc. 1 hour and 56 minutes later, I finally found the golden answer to my “impossible” question.

When people talk about the greatest, most perfect films ever created, there’s always the typical contenders: The Godfather, Casablanca, Citizen Kane. However, from the moment the end credits started to roll, I knew that Back to the Future is what I deemed to be Hollywood’s best, most flawless piece of cinema, and here’s why:

1. Timeless Storytelling

At the backbone of Back to the Future lies the brilliant Oscar-nominated screenplay crafted by none other than director Robert Zemeckis and co-creator Bob Gale. Sure, anyone can make a movie about a teenage boy accidentally time-traveling back to when his parents were in high school, but it takes remarkable creativity and craftsmanship to elevate this basic concept and turn it into a piece of movie history. The “ahead-of-its-time” use of time travel keeps audiences of all ages actively engaged, using simple storytelling without overcomplicating the plot. 

1. Elite Protagonist

There is no doubt that Michael J. Fox’s Marty McFly is one of the most iconic, well-known characters in movie history. Fox delivers a youthful, charming, and comedic performance that automatically makes him likable to the audience. Not only is Mcfly a likable protagonist, but he showcases genuine relatability that still resonates with viewers. He’s not a tall, buff, crime fighter but a regular guy who embodies the struggles and aspirations of someone on the cusp of adulthood. Fox’s charismatic energy and chemistry with his co-stars makes him a character that one will always root for.

1. Universal Messages

Back to the Future is more than a high-concept comedy that explores the world of time travel—it dives into deep messages such as the strange relationships and bonds between children and parents. In the beginning, Marty’s frustration with his parents stems from his perceptions of them being unsuccessful and, well, lame. However, through time travel, Marty gains a deeper understanding of what his parent’s hopes, dreams, and insecurities were. Because of this, it becomes his mission to not only ensure his existence but to also protect his family’s story and happiness.

1. The Dynamic Delorean

In today’s age, it is practically impossible to hear the word “Delorean” without everyone’s mind going straight to Back to the Future. In the real world, the automobile was an utter fail, making its prominence in the film much more hilarious and unique. With ties to this film, the Delorean is now sought out by collectors all over the world, hoping to get their hands on one of the few models made.

1. Cultural Impact

From movies and television, to music, Back to the Future has left a prominent mark on pop culture, with references and homages of the film being seen all throughout various forms of media. Movies and shows such as Avengers: Endgame, Stranger Things, The Flash, and Rick and Morty all reference and/or were heavily inspired by the film itself. Artists such as Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and Childish Gambino have also used aspects of the film in their songs. No matter how many years go by, Back to the Future will continuously be a staple in pop culture history.

As I continue to watch a variety of movies during my lifetime, the answer to my favorite movie will never change. If you haven’t done so already, make sure to watch Hollywood’s finest creation—it could potentially change your life too.

Noor is a 3rd year student at UC Davis majoring in Communication with a minor in Accounting. She enjoys watching movies, going on walks, and spending time with her friends. She is excited to be apart of the HerCampus team and looks forward to incorporating her interests and experiences into her articles.