This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Ah Asia! Asia is well known for its unique cultures, and with unique cultures comes many unique foods created. Before aggressively declaring one’s inability to eat such niche cuisines, they are worth giving a try. They taste even better when they are eaten within its country of origin. No one can make a balut (a boiled fertilized duck egg embryo) like my fellow country men do in the Philippines.

Because of the unfamiliarity and strangeness of the food themselves, why they are enjoyable and created is sadly lost in translation. In addition, the lands and the culture are reflected with the very creation of the delicacies at hand. These cuisines are unique just like the cultures it comes from.

Their tastes are very pleasant, I promise you!

Warning: this is not for those with a weak stomach!

As I mentioned before, no one is able to make a tasty balut like my fellow country men from the Philippines.

Image source: RedLinePage

Balut is a boiled fertilized duck embryo. This is one of the most popular street found in many places in Asia, but it is particularly popular in the Philippines. While balut may seem foul, it is very fun to eat it. The duck inside does not need to be eaten. The hard layer beneath the embryo is very chewy and fun to eat. The soup within it is salty, and for those who love salty foods, balut is simply exquisite.

One of the most thrilling Asian cuisines to ever exist is from South Korea called Sannakji. Sannakji is a South Korean dish that involves a live octopus that’s been cut into small pieces. And yes! The pieces move! Sannakji is also potentially hazardous. The suction cups of the octopus is able to strongly grip the throat as it is swallowed causing one to choke. How thrilling!

Even though chicken feet is extremely mild compared to the others listed, it is still highly viewed as a strange cuisine by many Westerners. Chicken feet is very fun to eat due to softness of the skin attached to the bones. The fact that chicken feet only has skin instead of heavy meat is why its so fun to eat in large numbers. There’s also a lot of recipes and varieties of dishes that can be made with chicken feet!

Natto is a Japanese dish that is able to deceive those whose about to consume it. While natto looks completely normal compared to the rest, its flavor, powerful smell, and unconventional texture makes it an Asian delicacy. Natto is simply fermented soy beans, and it is usually served with soy sauce, mustard, and onions. It is also very nutritious. It contains good levels of nutrients such as magnesium, potassium, protein, and more.

Bluefin tuna eyeballs are also a very mild asian delicacy compared to the others listed. It is particularly popular in Japan and Vietnam. It is often eaten with some vegetables and spices. Tuna eyeballs have brain nutrition called Dha and collagen which helps prevent aging.

Image source: Vov.vn

There are many more Asian delicacies that are not listed that are just as tasty and adventurous.

I'm a second year student with a double major in English and International Relations at UCD. I love hot chocolate, the fall season, and is a little too obsessed with kpop. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!