A List of Comfort Movies and Shows to Watch Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Winter break is quickly approaching! You know what I’m talking about: hot chocolate, snow, cold air, warm blankets, snuggling up by the fireplace, and of course, watching movies and TV shows!

Now, I know what you’re thinking:  “Oh you’re just going to recommend a list of Christmas movies to watch over winter break.” Although I am a sucker for Christmas movies (ELF is my personal favorite),  I’m going to give you just a few comfort movies and shows that you can watch over your much deserved break before Winter Quarter. 

These are just a few of my favorite movies and shows of all time. I constantly have them on repeat, and my roommates and I love to do our homework on the couch as these are playing. 

Love, Rosie (2014) is an incredible story about friends to lovers. This romantic dramedy is such a tearjerker and it warms my heart every single time I watch it. This underrated gem follows the story of Rosie and her relationship with her best friend Alex. The two have very different lives and face different challenges, but manage to stick together for many years. Lily Collins and Sam Claflin give such spectacular performances as the protagonists because they truly brought this wonderful story to life. I remember the first time I watched this movie, I couldn’t stop crying because of how beautiful it was. 

Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001) is a hilarious modern spin on the classic: Pride and Prejudice. In other words, if Pride and Prejudice is your go-to comfort movie, this one will be a nice twist for you. For a very long time, my mom would be scrolling through the channels for something to watch, and this movie would always be the one that she would click on, stop everything that she was doing, and watch the whole way through. Whenever it was on, we would watch this movie together, and I could never get enough of Miss. Bridget Jones and her crazy life. From friendships, to her job, to two major love interests, Bridget writes it all down and tells us the tale of being a 32-year-old woman in London! 

Derry Girls (2017-2022) is a show that I hadn’t even heard of until two months ago. One of my friends recommended it to me. This Netflix original follows four girls and one boy as they navigate high school during the Troubles in Derry, Northern Ireland. The catch is, the show doesn’t just focus on the Troubles, it focuses on the characters’ lives and their friendships. Every episode never fails to be hysterical, and I always have a smile on my face whenever I put this on my TV. The characters have such great chemistry and the writing is incredibly clever. When I first watched this show, it only took me three days to finish it because I just couldn’t resist the jokes and all of the characters. Now, whenever I feel like watching something funny, I just put on a random episode and laugh until it hurts! 

Lastly, one of my favorite shows in the entire world is Heartstopper (2022-present). This amazing show is based on a comic series by author and illustrator Alice Oseman. It follows the story of Nick and Charlie who are two high schoolers in their junior and sophomore year. The two strike up an unlikely friendship as they navigate not just through high school, but their lives. Young love becomes the main plot as the series progresses. This show is so cute with little animations taking over the screen, and the friendship between all of the characters will definitely make your heart melt. This show is definitely a must-watch if romance is your cup of tea.  

Amanda is a fourth year Cinema & Digital Media major with a minor in Communications. She enjoys writing, watching movies & TV shows, and spending time with her friends. She hopes to pursue a career in the film industry after UC Davis.