A Guide to Davis Boba Shops

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Boba is a classic drink for the average UCD student. With nearly a dozen boba shops in the area, $5-7 of your monthly (in my case, weekly) budget will inevitably go towards creamy milk or refreshing fruit tea. As someone who spent most of their first year visiting 9 boba shops, here are my “expert” rankings of the best boba places.  

For Regular Customers:

1. iTea

With a multitude of flavors, prices on the cheaper end (~$6), and located just across the street from campus, iTea is sure to be the most popular spot to grab boba. One huge benefit that few other stores have is iTea includes boba in their drinks; I call it the “free-shipping” effect, where an item sold with free shipping just seems like a better deal! Their signature drink, specifically, is large-size, boba-included, all for $5.95. For students who drink boba frequently, iTea checks off all boxes.

2. ShareTea

Sharetea is quite similar to iTea, the only difference being that it’s deeper within downtown Davis. With tax-free prices and diverse options, it could be equivalent to iTea if not for location.

3. Old Teahouse

For Cuarto residents, a 10pm boba trip with roommates is completely doable because of Old Teahouse’s late operating hours. Since it’s also near Trader Joe’s, shoppers can easily stop by and grab a drink before heading home. Old Teahouse is a good option for certain circumstances, but when considering their prices and drink quality, iTea and Sharetea slightly outperform.

4. T4

T4 has many unique flavors that other shops may not, such as banana milk, peppermint, pumpkin pie, and more! This doesn’t just end with tea, their smoothies and coffee drinks have the same diverse profile. However, I felt the prices proportional to the drink size weren’t worth a regular visit. Probably the biggest turn-off is that boba is an extra add-on!

5. Teaspoon

Teaspoon gave off a classy, elegant vibe I didn’t quite feel with other stores. This along with their fancy drinks can be appealing. However, I felt the prices and its location (far end of downtown) made it a very inconvenient spot for regular boba purchases. 

6. Rare Tea

Rare tea is adjacent to iTea, meaning it’s also right near campus. Location may be a huge plus, but I felt their prices were on the higher end. Additionally, I didn’t find anything unique about Rare Tea, such as drink flavors, quality, or cute souvenirs (more on that later), that would make me choose it over the aforementioned stores. 

kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

For One-Time Visitors/Newcomers to Davis:

1. Lazi Cow

For all newcomers who visit Davis, Lazi Cow is an absolute must. Not only are their drink options so eccentric, but customers can choose to have their drinks in Lazi Cows’ signature glass bottles! It’s the perfect souvenir for every Davis resident and visitor to grab, and of course, completely worth the $10 cost. 

2. Ume Tea

Similar to Lazi Cow, the biggest appeal of Ume Tea is its cute souvenirs. When you order boba in their “surprise cup,” you’ll get a tall, plastic drink holder with a plushie hidden on the bottom end. Yes, it’s also ~$10, but with the plushie, it’s sure to impress. Also, a bonus—the interior of the store is so cute! Plushies and pink LED lights everywhere!!!

3. Mochinut

Mochinut is the newest boba place in Davis, and I may be cheating, but what impressed me about this shop is their food options. Imagine getting a boba drink with a mochi donut or Hot-Cheeto Korean corndog; an absolute vibe. The boba drinks have your usual flavors, but it’s a cute shop to visit at least once.

Boba plays a significant role in social culture at Davis, but for obvious reasons—it’s so addictive! There are many other boba shops (and traditional restaurants that sell boba) that are worth trying in the Davis area. Be sure to use my brief reviews, along with your explorations, to experience the entire boba scene offered!

Gayathri is a third-year Biotechnology major and director of the UCD Her Campus Digital Media team. She loves to write, work out, sing, and sleep (college students need more of that nowadays). When not indulging in her boba addiction, she likes to wind down by watching hilarious Youtube vids with a hot cup of tea.