6 Movies to Help You Relive Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The holidays are approaching! Enjoy the food, and enjoy the time you’ll be spending with your family and friends! And what better way to spend it than to kick back and watch some Thanksgiving themed movies? 

1. Thankskilling

Genre: Comedy, Horror, Thriller

Synopsis: “A homicidal turkey axes off college kids during Thanksgiving break.” 

If you’re into ridiculous movies, prepare yourself for the terrible combination of horror and comedy that you’ll be exposed to in Thankskilling. It’s a great choice if you’re in the mood for outrageously bad nonsense and intentional stupidity. Not to mention that there’s even a sequel… 

2. Kristy

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Synopsis: “College girl Justine has plans to stay on campus with her roommate, Nicole, during Thanksgiving. Out of the blue, Nicole leaves, leaving Justine and she soon finds herself being threatened by a group of outcasts. She must conquer her deepest fears to outwit them and fight back.”

An actual horror take that hits close to home for those staying on campus over Thanksgiving break… 

3. The New World

Genre: Drama, Romance, Historical

Synopsis: “Following the typical voyage that you’ve seen in the Disney cartoon, Captain John Smith is captured by Native Americans, but his life is spared thanks to Pocahontas, daughter of the tribe’s chief. The pair fall in love, but are torn apart by reports of Smith dead. Pocahontas settles with John Rolfe, but when Smith turns out to be alive, she is torn between the two men.”

You’ve seen the Disney version, why not give the live action film version a try?

4. A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

Genre: Animated, Comedy

Synopsis: “Peppermint Patty invites herself and her friends over to Charlie Brown’s for Thanksgiving, and he attempts to throw together a Thanksgiving dinner.”

Who doesn’t love Charlie Brown? 

5. Holiday Engagement

Genre: Comedy, Romance

Synopsis: “Ashamed to admit she was just dumped to her family, a woman hires an actor to play her ex-fiance lawyer-boyfriend during a Thanksgiving weekend at her parents’ house.”

And here’s your rom-com choice for the night! A light take on family pressures on romantic relationships and the depths of desperation we go to to keep up appearances.

6. Chef’s Table

Genre: Documentary

Synopsis: “Chef’s Table goes inside the lives and kitchens of six of the world’s most renowned international chefs. Learn all about the chefs and their unique look at their lives, talents and passion from their piece of culinary heaven.”

A top rated documentary about food! Brain food as you’re munching down on that turkey. 

Enya Meng is a junior at UC Davis studying Clinical Nutrition with a minor in English. She aspires to become a registered dietitian working with patients with eating disorders. Her favorite things to do include reading, writing short stories, and experimenting with new recipes.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!