6 Life Lessons I Learned at a Camp for 5th Graders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

When I was a senior in high school, I volunteered to work as a camp counselor for a weeklong, outdoor camp for fifth graders. The camp completely immersed the students in the redwood forests, rich coastal oak groves, marshes, and tide pools of Loma Mar, California. Each day spent hiking and exploring the natural beauties of the area taught the kids (and the counselors) something about themselves, and how to treat the Earth we share.

Here are 6 important life lessons I learned with 10 year olds in the redwood forest:

1. Listen to the trees. 

Our naturalist advised us to put our ears up to the bark of trees and do nothing but listen to the inner workings of it. He said that during times of stress or confusion, he was able to find comfort and solace from simply listening to the sounds of nature, instead of filling his head with his own noise.

2. Zero Food Waste. 

The fifth graders were taught to only take what they would actually finish eating on their plate. Any kind of food-wasting was heavily frowned upon.

3. We Come From the Water. 

One of the songs we would sing every night around the campfire was called “We Come From the Water.” The song reminded us that we are part of a natural world, and come from the very dirt and water we traverse.

4. Tread Quietly and Leave No Marks.

On one night of camp, we embarked on a night hike in which our naturalist advised us all to walk very quietly, and leave as little trace as possible of us being in the forest at all.

5. Eat Natural Snacks.

The snacks at camp consisted of healthy, organic foods that came straight from the Earth. Apples, banana chips, and almond butter were our staples for the week.

6. Experiences Shared together are Better than Experiences Shared Alone.

Every night we’d gather around the campfire and sing songs together, recount the day’s memories, and foster excitement for the next day’s promises. We’d end the day together, thanking each other for the experiences we shared.

Maria is a fourth year at University of California, Davis where she is double majoring in Economics and Comparative Literature. When she's not studying for her classes or writing up an article, you can find her playing soccer with her friends, working with the UCD School of Education or chowing down on some delicious Thai food with her roommates.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!