6 California Cities You Need to Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

On a college student’s budget, it can be hard to visit the far-away places we’ve always dreamed of exploring. However, there are still many beautiful cities within driving distance that are worth adventuring to. We live in one of the most sought-after states in the country, so why not take advantage of that?

1. Napa Valley

Due to its Mediterranean climate, Napa is one of the most optimal locations to grow grapes for the delicious wine we all love to drink. It boasts several adorable hotels and little inns, making it the perfect weekend getaway for you and a few friends.

2. Berkeley

Berkeley is home to one of our sister UC schools, but it has more to offer than just its academics. Chock full of good restaurants, fun record shops, and second-hand clothing stores, it is ideal for an afternoon of wandering around. Plus, you are bound to meet a few people with very interesting stories.

3. Big Sur

While it has no definite boundaries, Big Sur is regarded as the strip of coastline from Carmel to San Louis Obispo. Stretching for 90 miles, the huge cliffs and beautiful blue ocean will make you want to take a camping trip or at least spend a few hours driving along the coast.

4. Yosemite

Visiting a U.S. National Park should be on everyone’s bucket list. Yosemite is not too far from us, and has amazing hiking trails, beautiful trees and other vegetation, and it’s home to the famous El Capitan, a popular rock climbing destination.

5. Solvang

Solvang is an adorable Danish town located right outside Santa Barbara. It is incredibly quant, with authentic Danish windmills, restaurants, and even music and dancing. After spending a couple of hours there, you really do forget that you are in California.

6. La Jolla

I may be biased because I was born and raised there, but this small San Diego city is one of the most breath-taking beach destinations in California. It is home to the world famous Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla Cove (with a small beach full of seals), and countless other art and cultural landmarks.

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!