5 Tips on How to Thrive as a First-Generation College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

First-generation college students (students whose parents never attended college) face a hard task filled with many obstacles when it comes to getting a degree. Many factors influence the likelihood of graduating as a first-generation student. There is a study that shows that “public universities graduated only 37 percent of students within four years.” Although these statistics might be intimidating, there are tips like the ones listed below that can help push first-generation college students towards success. 

1. Build your support system 

This tip is number one for a reason. Coming to a new environment, many may not have the support system that they had growing up around the same people, especially when it comes to family and friends. Throughout the beginning of freshman year, almost everyone is looking for a support system. Whether this comes from getting involved and joining clubs like Hermanas Unidas, Hermanos Macehual, Ignite, or Her Campus, or by meeting other first-generation college students through programs such as EOP, there are several ways on campus to build a strong support system. Although there is sometimes a negative stigma against therapy, it is necessary to succeed, especially being far from home in a new environment. There are many resources on campus, and pushing yourself towards those resources is the first step to thrive. 

2. Don’t doubt yourself 

Most first-generation college students have heard of, or experienced, imposter syndrome. There will always be some doubt when taking any large step in life. Although it is easier said than done, it is best to find confidence in how hard you have worked. Also, you need to realize that everyone is proud of you and your strong ambition to do something great. You belong here. 

3. Keep up with financial aid 

First things first, fill out your FAFSA. It’s not just a one-time thing. You have to update and submit your FAFSA information every year. Also, as first-generation college students, it is harder to get help from your parents or guardians to look for scholarships. However, it is important to understand that there are many scholarships available. Many believe that applying for scholarships ends after one leaves high school, but there are still scholarships available for students in college. This UC Davis website is a great source to find scholarships specially created for first-generation Aggies. 

4. Seeking academic support resources early on 

A big difficulty as a freshman first-generation student is having a hard time with academics. If you are even slightly worried about a grade, going to office hours without being afraid to ask questions helps. Also, meet with a counselor and speak about an academic plan to make sure you graduate on time. 

5. Don’t overload yourself & know your boundaries 

Although this is easier said than done, finding a balance and knowing your academic boundaries is key to succeeding. For instance, my best friend has an amazing talent for being able to understand things the first time she hears them. This is an upper hand for her, because it allows her to take some time from studying and focus on something else. Then when the exam approaches, she can cram the night before and get an excellent score. I, on the other hand, tried to pick up her method of studying but had trouble doing so. I ended up realizing that studying the same way was not going to help me with my exam scores. I learned that everyone is different, and what might work for one person will not always work for someone else. 

Nancy is a fourth-year Communication and Political Science- Public Service Double Major at the University of California, Davis. She enjoys spending time with family, friends and her dog named Luna. Her experience of growing up in a Mexican household in Silicon Valley inspired her to be a curious leader and prompted her passion for technology, public service, and social impact. She strives to utilize her project management and communication skillsets to work with cross-functional teams and lead social change projects. She is currently seeking employment opportunities within technology.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!