This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As we get adjusted to new classes and endless amounts of assignments, transitioning back to in-person school has been interesting, to say the least. It is more important than ever to make sure you take time for yourself to unwind and relax. I like to do so by watching my favorite shows on Netflix. Here are some that I’ve recently watched or always find comfort in.

Squid Game
Surprise surprise. I know everyone on TikTok has been trying their luck with the sugary dalgona game or raving about how cool Player 67 is. But besides the game and Sae-byeok’s beauty, the show raises a lot of valid points about our society today and why we should be terrified of economic inequality. This Korean thriller makes an excellent commentary on the egregious effects of capitalism, and how it shapes every nuance of our beings. The show follows several characters and how far they will bend their morals to pay off their debt.

Sex Education
Season 3 of Sex Education was released a while ago, and although I haven’t finished it yet, this British comedy-drama perfectly encapsulates the tribulations of high schoolers while discussing the importance of sex-positivity. High school is a very turbulent time for many, which is why it’s interesting to see each character’s development as they become more comfortable with their identity. I find myself relating to everyone and as a result feel relief in the worries I had in the past.

New Girl
New Girl will always remain a show I come back to if I need a good laugh after a stressful day. Each character has such distinct quirks that are hard to not fall in love with. As a group of four roommates tries to navigate the hardships that come with adulthood, such as being content with their careers, maintaining friendships, and finding love, it is fulfilling to see them find their passions.

The Good Place
If you enjoy philosophy, existentialism, or ever pondered what happens when you die, this show is perfect for you. In this utopian afterlife, the protagonists of the show work together to find the meaning of being good people. This show has helped me reflect on how I should carry myself during my life on Earth. One of the characters, Michael, makes a point that has stuck by me since. He says, “What matters isn’t if people are good or bad. What matters is, if they’re trying to be better today than they were yesterday.”

Big Mouth
I do not recommend playing this show out loud, as there are quite a few vulgar scenes that would be questionable to an outsider. However, I never fail to laugh while watching this comedy, and the animations are so artfully executed. Seeing how these awkward middle school protagonists try to find themselves as they go through puberty and meet their “hormone monsters” is such an ingenious and unique idea. The show covers a range of topics from first periods, to microaggressions, to coming to terms with your developing body.

Chelina is a third-year Communication and Sociology major at UC Davis. She loves binge watching Parks and Rec and considers herself an ice cream fanatic. After graduating, she hopes to work in public relations, marketing, or consulting.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!