This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As fun as they are to watch, K-dramas are unfortunately not often known for having strong feminist themes. Many shows, especially older ones, feature some very outdated tropes for female characters, which can sometimes make them a bit cringey or uncomfortable to watch. However, in recent years, there have been many shows that have well-written, powerful, inspirational female leads. All of these shows are great, whether you are new to the world of K-dramas, or have watched many already. 

1. Kang-Dan-i, Romance is a Bonus Book

Hard working and independent, Dan-i wants nothing more than to prove to the world around her (and herself) that she is capable of working again after a long break. Deserted by her cheating husband, Dan-i is forced to go back to work to support her daughter. However, she finds herself at a disadvantage, having been out of the working world for 13 years to focus on her family. Although she graduated from a prestigious school and had a successful career in marketing, Dan-i is faced with bitter ageism as she begins to apply and interview for jobs again, competing with people much younger and less qualified than she. When she finally secures a job that she is way over-qualified for, she must deal with mistreatment at work, despite being one of the hardest working, creative people in the office. Regardless, she persists, working hard with a positive attitude and eventually gaining respect from the people she works with. 

person using laptop at a desk
Photo by Christin Hume from Unsplash

2. Do Bong-Soon, Strong Girl Bong-Soon

Even though this show is on just about every list ever of feminist K-dramas, Bong-Soon’s spunky, positive attitude deserves more attention. One of my favorite things about this show is how it demonstrates that you can be stereotypically feminine while still being strong. Bong-Soon is a cheerful, sweet girl with a love for feminine, cutesy clothing and decorations, and is just about as physically unintimidating as you could possibly be. Still, though, she is incredibly strong both mentally and physically, and is easily able to hold her own around her male coworkers and colleagues, who are constantly underestimating her because of how she looks and acts. 

3. Goo Hae-Ryung, Rookie Historian Goo Hae-Ryung

Born into a wealthy family, Hae-Ryung has no desire to get married, have children, and take on the demure, submissive role expected of a woman during the Joseon dynasty. When an opening for female historians for the royal family opens, she doesn’t think twice about seizing the opportunity, despite the fact that it goes against her family’s plan for her. After taking the role, Hae-Ryung works hard to prove herself as a competent historian, although she deals with constant sexism from her almost all-male colleagues, who think of her as nothing more than a foolish girl and are always looking for ways to “keep her in her place.” Despite both the causal and more blatant sexism that she faces daily, Hae-Ryung continues to work hard, and eventually receives some respect from the men around her. Later on in the show, she works to uncover past corruption within the royal family and fiercely defends her responsibilities as a historian to reveal the truth, even though many of her male colleagues are hesitant to do the same.

The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
Her Campus Media

4. Yoon Jin-Myung, Hello My Twenties

To be honest, any one of the leading ladies in this show deserves a spot on this list, but Jin-Myung is just a little higher than the rest. As the oldest of the group, she is by far the most serious and stoic, but not without good reason. A 28-year-old law student, Jin-Myung has taken longer than usual to complete her studies after having to take breaks due to financial and personal hardships, including her relationship with her estranged mother, a terminally-ill brother who has been in a coma for three years, and having to work multiple part-time jobs at the same time to support her studies, all while studying for the test that will allow her to get into law school. As heartless as she seems around the other girls, Jin-Myung is human too, and silently struggles with depression and hopelessness. Thanks to the support from the other girls, she eventually begins to come out of her shell, learning to love herself. I appreciate this show for showing a very realistic view of someone struggling with their mental health, as well as demonstrating how strong friendships can help you overcome and cope with these struggles. 

Sarah is currently pursuing a degree in Design (with a focus in UI/UX design and graphic design) and a minor in communications. After graduation, she hopes to work in app design/production or packaging and marketing design. In her free time, she can probably be found reading, painting, exercising, dancing, or cooking and exploring new restaurants with her friends.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!