This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Let’s face it, life is incredibly strange right now. With most of us following necessary precautions and staying home in order to flatten the curve of COVID-19, it’s completely natural to start experiencing a wide range of emotions. I personally have anxiety regarding keeping my susceptible family members safe. I’m also missing my housemates this quarter, knowing that this would be our last quarter living together. No matter what your personal feelings are during this difficult time, just know that they are valid and that we can get through this together. 

One method that has always helped me with my anxiety or sadness is listening to some great music. The kind of music that can transport you, that transcends whatever difficulties you are experiencing. Hopefully you can find some semblance of peace listening to these amazing artists, and please remember to stay safe for yourself and those around you!

1. Men I Trust

If you were to only listen to one artist on this list, I would definitely want it to be Men I Trust. Each song is a blend of dreamy pop mixed with 80’s synth, the perfect combination. I swear with each listen my anxiety feels as if it is melting away. This is the kind of music that will make you feel good about yourself, period.

Great For: studying, times when you need a little self-love

Favorite Album: Oncle Jazz

Favorite Songs: “Days Go By” | “Air” | “You Deserve This” | “Norton Commander”

2. Joanna Newsom 

One of the most intriguing artists I’ve ever listened to, Joanna Newsom, produces indie folk ballads. Her songs are a little unconventional in length (my personal favorite, “Only Skin”, is 17 minutes long!). But, this just means that there’s all the more to enjoy! There’s a personal story and message intricately woven into each song, and it is easy to spend hours trying to decipher her lyrics. I am not ashamed to admit that her music has made me emotional on more than one occasion.

Great For: Reflecting on life and enjoying a nice afternoon cup of tea 

Favorite Album: Divers

Favorite Songs: “Leaving the City” | “Time, As a Symptom” | “Only Skin”

3. Claire Laffut 

A jazzy French pop artist, Claire Laffut is relatively new on the scene. I was first introduced to her by my friend who lives in France, and I fell in love with her music shortly after. Her fun, lighthearted beats will help ease your soul during these difficult times.

Great For: practicing your salsa dancing and imagining you live in a beautiful villa in the heart of Paris 

Favorite Album: Mojo

Favorite Songs: “Vérité” | “Nudes” | “Mojo”

4. Yseult 

Another French pop artist, Yseult, mixes soul and African rhythms to create fresh pop sounds. Her music is extremely fun to listen to and, bonus points, you can learn a little French while listening! The best of both worlds, in my opinion.

Great For: jamming out in your bedroom at 1AM (with headphones, of course, so you don’t wake up the entire neighborhood)

Favorite Album: Rouge

Favorite Songs: “La Vague” | “Diego” | “Rodéo” 

Victoria is a mechanical engineering and communication double major at the University of California, Davis. She loves writing, playing video games, and painting in her free time. Her main goal is to live a creative and fulfilling life.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!