This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Self-worth is something that many individuals struggle to achieve. It focuses on the idea that we have to find validation within ourselves, validation that we are attractive, validation that we are fun to be around, and validation that we are deserving of only the best. Self-worth is something that I have struggled with for a long time, and watching certain TED Talks to overcome these insecurities is something that was especially insightful towards my mental improvement. 

1. “The Space Between Self-Esteem and Self Compassion” by Kristin Neff

In this TED Talk, Kristin Neff emphasizes the importance of being kind to yourself. She focuses on the idea that there is a direct correlation between being self-empathetic and good mental health. She states specifically that there is so much value to “including ourselves in the circle of compassion and treating ourselves with the same kindness, care, and concern that we display towards others.” I find this concept interesting because it allows us to step back and look at how harsh we can be to ourselves sometimes. In the talk, Neff expands on how many studies portray self-esteem as being correlated to psychological problems, and she’s right. To live a happy and joyful life, feeling good about yourself is a must! 

1. “Cultivating Unconditional Self Worth” by Adia Gooden

This TED Talk focuses on how there are different factors that contribute to one’s perception of themselves and how they are essential factors in determining one’s self-worth. She touches on the importance of relationships and how many young women feel the need to rely on this form of external approval to validate themselves. She elaborates on a couple of steps that you can take in order to practice cultivating self-worth, and this includes: forgiving yourself, practicing self-acceptance, being there for yourself during hard times, and connecting yourself to people who are there to support you through it all. Self-worth is a practice, and being able to recognize the influencing factors to make a change is just Step 1! 

1. “The Key to Building Self Confidence and What We’re Doing Wrong” by Nada Nasserdeen

The perfectionist mindset in human beings is something that is inevitable. A sense of self-doubt stems from the incapability of being able to live up to your own expectations of perfectionism. But in reality, being human is not perfect, but rather a cycle of mistakes. Nasserdeen talks about the idea of micro-confidence and how it means you feel “certain, sure, or great in a certain competency or skill.” She expands on how when one loses those things that validate their micro confidence, such as a job, etc., there is nothing to validate them, and thus is an unsustainable way of proving to yourself that you are worthy. 

Self-worth is something that one should practice. By watching all of these TED Talks, I realized that finding validation within myself is something that comes with practice. Being happy with myself and who I am is just a process of discovering throughout my life! 

My name is Dharshini Sridharan and I am a second year biology major at UC Davis. Some of my hobbies include cooking, traveling, and going shopping with family and friends. I hope to use my life experiences and thoughts to instigate positive thoughts and a sense of unity within those who read my articles!