3 Indie Artists I Can’t Get Out of My Head

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Despite my plan to listen to classical music to help my focus when studying, I’ve been dipping into my Indie artist playlists and can’t get certain songs of theirs out of my head. In an attempt to get these artists out of my head, I’m going to share them with you!

Aurora ─ “This Could Be A Dream”

AURORA is a Norwegian singer most prominently known from Frozen II‘s “Into the Unknown.” AURORA is the human embodiment of a hilarious and adorable elf, and I have nothing but admiration and adoration for her. I first listened to AURORA in middle school, obsessed with her song “Winter Bird” and its eerie vocals. AURORA is one of the few artists I would say whose voice is truly an instrument. Even in her earlier albums as a teenager, she was able to meticulously shift and control her vibrato to reach incredible notes. Her newest album, The Gods We Can Touch, uses gorgeous allusions to Greek mythology which are both intriguing to someone interested in mythology, yet also relatable to someone who may look past these details. “This Could Be A Dream” has recently been stuck in my head. 

Djo ─ “Figure You Out”

Djo is a band led by the Stranger Things actor Joe Keery. I honestly discovered this band by merely looking up Joe Keery on Spotify out of curiosity. His band’s rock has a psychedelic and synthesizer sound to it. Apart from the plethora of instruments Djo uses in their classic rock headbangers, I really love the chord progressions within all of their songs. There’s a depth of emotion conveyed by the experimental adjustments to Djo’s voice which accentuates the meaning behind his witty lyrics. “Figure You Out” off of Djo’s new album, DECIDE, has been playing nonstop in my head the past few days. I would highly recommend listening to Djo on a long drive or for a workout.

Skinshape ─ “I Didn’t Know ─ Extended”

Skinshape is an artist who I discovered from one of my guilty pleasure shows, Outer Banks (please don’t judge me, I was craving summer). Previously a guitar and bass player for other bands, William Dorey is a British musician who now creates his independent music. His use of guitar and bass is just bewitching. On his first two albums, Oracolo and Life & Love, his sound had a somber Western tone to it. “Left with a Gun” and “Don’t Call My Name” definitely exemplify this aesthetic. Despite the somewhat haunting and slow nature of his acoustics, the percussion helps keep a steady and engaging pace. I’d have to say my favorite song of his is “I Didn’t Know ─ Extended.” If you need a mental break or some tunes to study, I highly recommend giving him a listen. 

Whether you enjoy niche Indie artists or are merely looking for some new music, I hope you give these musicians a listen! 

Agueda

UCD '24