21 Things I’ve Learned in 21 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As I type this on the eve of my 22nd birthday, I feel a strange concoction of emotions. In reality, I know 22 isn’t old — my life is only just beginning  — but on the cusp of graduation, with what feels like so many big changes headed my way, it’s scary to reflect on all the time that’s passed. Since my birthday is so close to New Year, I often mark it is as the start of all the new habits and goals I want to have for the new year and take some time to set intentions for what I hope to do and achieve. With that being said, here are 21 things I’ve learned in 21 years.

1. It’s okay for things to veer off course. Growing up I always thought I had to have a plan, and if things didn’t go according to plan, everything would fall apart. In the last couple of years especially I’ve learned that it’s not always the case, and you often have to make the best of the cards you’ve been dealt. 
  2. Having a skincare routine is fun. 
  3. It’s okay to say no; no to a party, no to a friend, no to a colleague, no to your partner. Sometimes it’s important to, and it can be hard to realize that. 
  4. Learning how to cook is important. You can only rely on delivery apps, restaurants, and other people to an extent. 
  5. No comeback is better than a lame comeback. If you don’t have something witty to say, let it be. Saying something stupid will only dig you into a deeper hole. 
  6. People come and go, but you’re stuck with you forever. You might as well start loving yourself. 
  7. Invest in a good pair of jeans. Fashion is always changing, but as long as you feel good in what you wear, you’ll look good.
  8. Doing things that you did as a child, as an adult, is fun. Do it more. 
  9. Never confuse drowsy and non-drowsy medication. That’s a different kind of hell to be in. 
  10. Time heals a lot of things. Not everything, but a lot of things. 
  11. Experiences are what you make of them. You could be at the best, most extravagant, amazing, spectacular event of your lifetime, but if you don’t walk in with the right mindset, it could be the worst experience of your life. The same goes for the most boring, poorly planned, night; if you set out to have fun, you’ll have it
  12. Don’t trust people who don’t read. Reading is FUN. Books are cool.
  13. Comparison will kill you. If I could bring accumulate all the time I’ve spent comparing myself to others, be it people I know or people I don’t, I could probably get shave off at least a couple of years of my life.
  14. Mothers know best. Whether the things Moms or maternal figures say come true in a week, a month, or a couple of years, they always come true.
  15. Relationships are a choice. Whether it be a family member, a partner, or a friend, having them in your life and keeping them in your life is a choice. And it’s one you make every single day. 
  16. If a task can be done in under 5 minutes, do it now. Don’t tack it onto the end of your to do list
  17. Be kind to servers, hostesses, waiters, and helpers. They are in fact waiting on you and can absolutely ruin your day with the snap of their fingers. 
  18. When you’re traveling, pack the most important items first. Even though they’re important, you might end up forgetting in the end.
  19. Always double-check who you’re sending screenshots and photos to. I’ve made the mistake of sending a screenshot of a chat to the same person one too many times. 
  20. Wash your dishes when you use them. Getting back to a pile of dishes as opposed to a few is never fun.
  21. Confidence is all in your head. It’s not something that some people have and others don’t. It’s a choice you make every morning when you wake up.

I think every now and then I forget these life lessons, but as I turn 22 and enter my Taylor Swift era, I hope I take them with me and this serves as a reminder to you, no matter what your age is. 

Natasha is a fourth-year student at the University of California, Davis double majoring in Psychology and Communications with a minor in Economics. She has a variety of interests ranging from marketing and media to human rights and policy and continues to seek opportunities to explore them. Being an international student she brings with her a unique perspective which she hopes to share through her writing.