This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The 76th annual Golden Globe Awards ceremony honored the best in American film and television of 2018. The winners were chosen by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, some of which might surprise you.

Best Motion Picture – Drama

Courtesy of Live Entertainment

The Winner:

Bohemian Rhapsody

A celebration of the inspiring and groundbreaking band Queen.

Nominees:

Black Panther

T’Challa, aka Black Panther, returns home to take his place as king of the African nation of Wakanda. When a powerful enemy appears, T’Challa is tested when he is drawn into a conflict that puts the fate of the nation and the entire world at risk.

BlacKkKlansman

Based off of true events, the movie follows an African American police officer and a Jewish surrogate who infiltrate the local Ku Klux Klan.

If Beale Street Could Talk

Based off the novel by James Baldwin, the romantic drama follows a couples journey in 1970s Harlem.

A Star is Born

Seasoned musician Jackson Maine and falls in love with struggling artist Ally. As Ally’s career begins to take off, her relationship with Jackson begins to break down as he fights his internal demons.

Best Motion picture – Musical or Comedy

Courtesy of IMDb

The Winner:

Green Book  

Set in the Deep South during the 1960s, the movie follows the concert tour of an African American pianist, Dr. Don Shirley who is helped by Tony Lip, an Italian American.

Nominees:

Vice  

The movie tells the story of former Vice President Dick Cheney who used his power under the George W. Bush administration to help reshape the country and the world.

Crazy Rich Asians  

Based off the book by Kevin Kwan, the movie focuses on  Rachel Chu as she travels to Singapore to meet her boyfriend’s family for the very first time.

The Favorite  

Set in the early 18th century, a frail Queen Anne allows her close friend, Lady Sarah, to govern the country. When a new servant arrives, Sarah takes her underneath her wing.

Mary Poppins Returns  

The magical and charismatic Mary Poppins returns to help the Bank’s siblings and Michael’s children through a difficult time.

Best Motion Picture – Animated

Courtesy of IMDb

The Winner:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse  

The movie dives into the Spider-Man universe. Peter Parker isn’t the only person bitten by a radioactive spider that gives him unusual powers.

Nominees:

Incredibles 2  

The long awaited sequel to The Incredibles follows the beloved family’s difficulty in leading normal lives, especially when a new villian arises.

Isle of Dogs  

A stop-motion animated film centered around a 12-year old boy’s journey to find his bodyguard dog.

Mirai  

A young boy is able to travel through time and meet his relatives from different eras with the help of his younger sister from the future.

Ralph Breaks the Internet  

Six years after Wreck-it-Ralph, Ralph and Vanellope stumble upon a wi-fi router which sends them into the web and onto a new adventure.

Best Television Series – Drama

Courtesy of Vox

The Winner:

The Americans  

Two soviet spies pose as a married couple in order to spy on the American government.

Nominees:

Bodyguard  

A war veteran lands a job as a Police Sergeant and is assigned to protect an ambitious politician.

Homecoming  

The Department of Defense starts questioning why Hedi Bergman left Homecoming, a facility that helps soldiers transition back into civilian life, leading her to a different truth than she had previously known.

Killing Eve  

Eve, a trained spy, and Villanella, a talented assassin, play an obsessive game of cat and mouse.

Pose  

The TV show demonstrates the juxtaposition of various segments of life in New York during 1987.

Best Television Series – Musical/Comedy

Courtesy of IMDb

The Winner:

The Kominsky Method

An aging actor makes a living as an acting coach.

Nominees:

The Good Place

Four people struggle to define what “good” means in the afterlife.

Kidding

A famous children’s television icon struggles to hold onto his sanity as his family falls apart.

The Marvelous Mrs. Masiel  

Centered around a housewife who becomes a stand up comedian in the 1950s.

Barry

A hit man gets caught up in the Los Angeles’s theatre and arts scene.

A complete list of the actors and actresses who were nominated and chosen can be found at the Golden Globes official site.

Samantha Park

UC Riverside '22

Poet || Writer || Editor Find me somewhere drinking coffee and reading Sylvia Plath
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.