Style > Beauty

Why You Should Try Box Dye Instead of Going to the Salon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I have never dyed my hair in my entire life until (date of you dying your hair? I.e one week ago, two weeks ago..) I’ve always wanted to, but I think my mom thought I would immediately pass away if I even thought about changing my hair color. I didn’t want anything too crazy where I would have to bleach my hair or anything. I just wanted color at the ends because my hair is short, and I wasn’t exactly ready to dye all of my hair. Thankfully, big sisters who have experimented with all sorts of beauty products exist.

My sister would dye all of her hair red, every few weeks. The towels full of red hair dye and the pinkish tint on the sink are still in the house after all this time. Shewould never go to the salon to dye her hair. She’d always go to Sally’s Beauty Salon and come back with a few boxes of dye to last her a while. So, when I asked her if she could dye my hair for my birthday, she said yes. 

(Photo courtesy of Unsplashed)

She had a box leftover from when she had red hair, and she used it on me. First, she put on developer because my hair is a super dark brown and then left the dye on for about twenty minutes. The red didn’t come out vibrant, but you could see it when there was a lot of light. I was still happy with it. However, if you have dark hair like me, you might want to consider bleaching it first or letting the dye sit longer..

A month later when she dyed my hair again, you were able to see the red alot more; I fell in love with my hair after a long time of not being happy with it. My sister said that the color was going to grab on  more the second time because my hair had already been dyed before. The color lasted a month before it started fading into a pretty color that I didn’t hate. That’s why I lagged so much on redying it. 

(Photo courtesy of Unsplashed)

Box dye at Sally’s or any other retailer is cheap and you also save yourself a lot of time. Of course though, if you want an intense color that you know will require bleach, go to the salon. I didn’t use a single drop of bleach on my own hair; I think preventing all that damage and saving money was definitely worth the wait. 

My roommate wanted to match hair with me, so she got the same dye I did and since her hair is also a really dark brown, it wasn’t vibrant until the second time around that she dyed it herself. Box dye really is just that b…babe. 

(Photo courtesy of Sally Beauty’s Instagram)

If you’re considering making a change to your hair, go to the store, watch a YouTube tutorial and save time and money that comes with going to a salon. Of course, there’s no shame in wanting to go to the salon when you want something that you know might require bleach or other expensive tools.

Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.