Career

Why You Should Be Proud of Your Major Even If You’re Not in STEM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Whether you’re a creative writing major like me, or a theatre/film major, or an english major or anything that fits under the humanities and arts, chances are you’ve been judged over and over about it. People will always ask “What’s your major?” and condescendingly say “Ohh, that’s… cool” then can’t help themselves when they add, “But how do you plan to make money with that?” Hearing this all the came can make it so hard to want to say our majors loud and proud. I think we all need a reminder every now and then that our majors are just as worthy of praise and understanding as any other major. So here are some reasons to be proud of your major, despite not being in STEM. (Shoutout to STEM majors for all their hard work, especially women in STEM!)

1. It IS Hard

People will always try to downplay your hard work and success. Personally, whenever I tell everyone I’m majoring in creative writing, they assume all of my classes are a walk in the park. But the thing is, not all majors can be held to the same difficulty levels. The humanities and arts still require work, contrary to popular opinion. Don’t feel bad for complaining about a hard class or project, even when people will argue that you “have it easy.” No college major is meant to be easy, so take pride in the fact that you’re here in the first place. Constantly having to create and execute creative ideas can be so mentally and emotionally draining. Sure we don’t have anything to memorize or regurgitate back, but we are the ones having to conjure up short stories, poems, novels, short films, screenplays, photography, art etc. And let’s be real, not everyone can do the things we do. It’s okay to have pride in our capabilities. It’s taken me so long to be able to even think that I’m a writer because of the stigmas and pressure around it, but it shouldn’t be that way. Believe that your work is worth something and someone out there is waiting to see it. 

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

2. You will get judged

Putting yourself out there creatively is so intimidating. Walking into classrooms full of brilliant, highly accomplished professors and incredibly talented classmates can make anyone insecure. Having a creative major is literally signing up to be judged. Since there are no actual quizzes, tests, finals, all you have to do is create and show it… then get graded on it. Of course school requires grades so this is merely a part of the process, but it can be hard to adjust going from creating in your free time to having to do so for a grade. And it can be hard to accept those grades too, because you will be so personally attached your work. But keep in mind that only you truly know how hard you worked for something. So, if you don’t get the grade or response that you wanted to your work, be proud of it anyway. School isn’t the end of the world, you are only here to learn and grow. 

3. You have to push yourself

Like I said earlier, having to continuously produce something you’re passionate about can be draining. The passion will hopefully not disappear but it can fade for a moment when you’re overwhelmed with expectations and deadlines. You have to focus on imagining new ideas, making them happen, revising and reworking them and doing it all over again for every new project or class. I know I definitely try and stick to a similar storyline as much as I can for every assignment once it works because I’m afraid of having to think of more ideas and concepts that can fail. It’s hard to experiment and try out new things, but it is well worth it once you’re done. Remember that for our classes, there is no direct path to get to anything. Everyone is in different stages so only focus on how to make yourself better. 

Photo by Soragrit Wongsa on Unsplash

4. It makes you happy 

I know it is a privilege to be able to pursue what makes us happy. Though it does not denounce our work or success, it is still is a factor in what we do, I acknowledge that. But it is more reason to believe in ourselves, not everyone can do what we do. Many of us are dream chasers and don’t let other people’s concerns with our career choices think that it is impossible to succeed. Pursuing a passion should not be looked down upon. If no one did what made them happy, the world would be a much darker, isolated, and un-creative one. People have done it before and you can do it too. Don’t feel bad for wanting to something different than others. No one should be forced onto a path they don’t want to be in. When you feel overwhelmed, remind yourself of why you started and what you want to accomplish, then keep on going. 

Photo by Rachael Gorjestani on Unsplash

5. You inspire others 

Now, I don’t want to make it all sound bad. Among the judgement, you will receive a lot of praise (if you’re open to it). There will be so many amazing teachers, lovely classmates, and supportive friends and family that will help keep you going. The only way to accept praise is to first share your work with others. It can be super uncomfortable at first, because reading a poem or showing a film you made isn’t the same as saying “look what grade I got on this test!” It is an extremely vulnerable process to open yourself up to critique, but also admiration. Keep in mind that the more you get your work out there, the more you will inspire others. Someone will always be there to love and appreciate your art, so if anything, share it for them. 

At the end of the day, we are all here to make progress, whether it be personal, communal, or societal. Any one of us can make a change and I want you to believe it. Today’s world can be harsh on us, telling us we shouldn’t have so much self-love and confidence, but I beg to differ. Whatever you are aiming to do with your life, it is possible. Take in the negative with a grain of salt and focus on the positive. All you need is one person to believe in yourself: you. 

Shanelle Huynh

UC Riverside '22

I am a UCR graduate with a degree in Creative Writing and a minor in Business Administration learning to define my own way of living as a "writer" and sharing what I find out on my journey along the way.