This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

*This title is awkward 

I don’t know about you, but I utter the phrase “I’m so embarrassed” about once a day. I’m either a really awkward individual or I’m just easily embarrassed (probably both). So here’s a list of a few awkward incidences and major fails that have occurred in my uncomfortable life.

1) Scenario: At the theater

Employee: “Enjoy your movie!”

Me: “You too! Um…I mean..”

Employee: “It’s okay” 

2) My iPod died while I was walking to class but regardless I decided to leave my earphones plugged in and halfway to class I realized that the cord to my earphones was broken so I just had this long white string dangling in front of me the entire time.  

3) Scenario: Getting off the trolley

Me (to the driver): “Thank You!”

Driver: “You’re Welcome”

Me: “You too!” (Proceeds to run away)

4) I was walking to class once and I nearly slipped, then I looked down and saw that one of my sandals was broken. The strap that holds the shoe together had come apart, so I ended up dragging that one shoe with my foot that whole day. I looked like a pirate with one leg.

5) Once when I was riding the bus I was stuck having to hold onto the bar, and as the bus came to an abrupt halt I fell backwards. I ended up landing on the lap of some guy. And instead of getting up I just sat there like a fool! And the worst part was that his girlfriend was sitting right next to him, giving me the stink eye.

6) My frehsman year, I got a text from a friend reading:”We can grab dinner?” and I replied: “You didn’t know that we could go off campus to eat??LOL”

7) I slipped down the walkway at the Life Science Building lecture hall, and then tried to pretend like nothing happened.

[pagebreak]

8) I’ve tripped and bent my ankle as I’ve walked on a perfectly even sidewalk one too many times.

9) I was about 10 minutes late to class so I tried to walk in without making a scene so I decided to sit in the back row but then I ended up stepping on a bunch of people’s feet, and yelling “SORRY!” a bit too loudly as I struggled to get to my seat. 

10) This one time some guy was introducing himself to me and then proceeded to shake my hand. I stared at his hand and then a few seconds too late I extended mine as his hand was going back down. Then I quickly put my hand back down while he extended his. And to avoid the whole situation I just slowly turned my body away from him.

11) I was talking to my roommate in the living room, and from the corner of my eye I saw a man standing outside the window so I started to scream. Turns out it was only the UPS guy.

12) I’ve tripped walking up the stairs several times but this one time I was so fed up with my clumsiness that I proceeded to lay there. And then some nice girl saw me, ran and ended up dragging me upright. Talk about humiliating.

13) Back in the 7th grade when I always thought I was going to be late to my next class (I was adamant about being on time many moons ago). So this one day when my teacher kept us a while after class, I was so nervous about being late to my other class that I started to run and as I turned the corner I felt myself falling down, but in a slow motion sort of way. By the time I hit the ground I was so embarrassed that instead of getting up, I continued to lay there (I think it’s a habit). So after laughing uncontrollably for too long one of my friends finally decided to help me up. That’s when he told me that while I lying on the ground my skirt had lifted up and everyone had seen my underwear. (Yes! I had forgotten to wear shorts underneath!!)

14) And the moment that tops the cake is when I was in the restroom and there was a pervert peeing on the wall. So while he was peeing, I was struggling in my stall contemplating whether I should call the police and risk having him hear me or stepping out and confronting the guy. After much contemplation, I ended up just standing there hoping that he wouldn’t attack me. Then after doing his business, he left, so I ran out of the stall only to find out that I was in the men’s restroom the entire time and that I in fact was the perv. 

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.