Why the New TATBILB 2 Trailer Gives Hope for Netflix’s Bad Past of Sequels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The new trailer for “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before: PS I Still Love You” is here! Netflix released this official 2-minute sneak peek just this Wednesday, January 22, and it has already made everyone swoon since it’s been trending on YouTube. The very first minute-long trailer came out around December of last year, not giving much of anything away besides the big fact that John Ambrose McClaren was going to be introduced. 

While the first trailer emphasized a lot of cute date moments with Lara Jean and Peter, trailer #2 shows otherwise. LJ is seen to be feeling uneasy about Peter’s popularity and we also see her flirting a bit with John, leaving both us and her confused on her emotions for both boys. Could this be the end for her and Kavinsky? The start of her and McClaren? Or will she end up with a third boy for all we know! She did send out five letters and there’s only three possible movies total, based off the books, so the possibilities are endless. 

(Photo courtesy of Netflix)

To me, this sneak peek shows the best potential for this sequel. It isn’t too cringey, boring, or predictable like most Netflix sequels are. The platform has a tendency to find one thing that works and rinse and repeat it until the fans truly can’t take anymore. With so many bad Hallmark Christmas movies, and cheesy romcoms like The Kissing Booth and The Perfect Date (also with Noah Centineo who’s clearly typecasted), they really did get lucky with the To All The Boys series. They are clearly now taking advantage of it, but in a good way, thankfully so I’m staying hopeful. 

(Photo courtesy of Netflix)

Not to mention, every scene in the trailer exhibits how flawless the cinematography is in this movie, compared to typical Netflix teen dramas (like that cute Tangled lantern moment). The lighting, colors, framing, and overall aesthetic is so pleasing to watch, along with the song underneath. I loved the last movie’s soundtrack and can’t wait for this one too. And having Lara Jean’s natural narration mixed in throughout the trailer tops it all off. 

Getting to watch a Vietnamese-American, like myself, on the big screen is so unbelievably cool to me – especially when her character is well-written and more multi-dimensional than playing a stereotypical Asian side character or a “dumb” teenage girl. 

(Photo courtesy of Netflix)

TATBILB proves that not all Netflix originals or sequels are bad (despite most of them); and that it is possible to have a strong, relatable main female character who falls in love (literally) without making it solely about her worth being equivalent to their romance. It leaves space for Lara Jean to show her love for her family and friends and herself, and even allows her to leave one guy for another if she chooses, rather than just feel stuck to a man for the sake of it. 

I, for once, can’t wait for this sequel to arrive and have high expectations for it. As the trailer states, the movie will premiere this upcoming February 12, just in time for Valentine’s Day. Cheers to love!

Shanelle Huynh

UC Riverside '22

I am a UCR graduate with a degree in Creative Writing and a minor in Business Administration learning to define my own way of living as a "writer" and sharing what I find out on my journey along the way.