This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

About two weeks ago, UC’s stated that all ten campuses planned to return to in-person instruction in fall 2021. Although I am excited to finally go back to school instead of doing it online, I’m not 100% I’m ready for that. So many things have changed since the beginning of the spread of COVID-19  to now.

Big Groups

Before COVID started, I was used to hanging out in big groups with my friends. Of course with the spread of the virus, it is better to hang out with a smaller group of friends. I think when I finally hang out with all my friends it will be slightly awkward for me since I have not been used to that, and I have been trying to avoid big groups.

6 Feet Distance

This is a huge thing for people because I don’t like being very close to people so I always try to keep my distance. This will be much more difficult to do when things go back to normal since there will be more people out in public and probably not enough free space everywhere I go.

Wearing Masks

This will not be as necessary when people aren’t sick. This means I’ll be able to do my makeup much more often since it won’t come off onto the mask. Rather than always having half of my face covered up, people will see my entire face. This is honestly probably the worst of them all since I tend to sing to songs or sometimes just mumble things that others don’t hear, and getting out of these habits will take a little time.

Zoom Classes

Although sometimes I hate Zoom classes because of the technical difficulties or because I can’t see my friends often, I will miss having these classes. It makes it better when I have online classes because I can just quickly roll out of bed and hop onto the link for my class. I don’t have to worry as much about how I look because it isn’t always necessary to turn on the cameras.

Many things will change once life goes back to normal and adjusting to everything will be much more difficult than before since in a way we have to unlearn how to be safe from others. But hopefully, this change can slowly happen so it doesn’t affect me in a negative way.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.