Why Does Female Empowerment Have to Involve Heels, Leather and Fishnets?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Leather, chains, fishnets, spikey heels and a lot of leg took the main stage as Mary J. Blige, Madonna, Jennifer Lopez, and headliner Beyonce performed at a benefit concert in London on June 1st.  “Chime for Change: The Sound for Change Live”, a benefit concert campaigning to help empower women and girls around the world, was set ablaze by an incredible lineup of performers – but the backlash was all about their racy outfits. 

Founded by Gucci, Chime for Change is a “community working to promote Education, Health and Justice for every girl, every woman, everywhere.”  Speeches on hot topics such as human trafficking, domestic violence, maternal death, genital mutilation, and adult literacy were the highlight of the night, advocating modern day feminism.

Clad in a leather hot pants bodysuit, Beyonce performed hits such as “Single Ladies,” “Run the World,” and “Grown Woman.”  But trending tweets raised the question of why such outfits are necessar to represent female empowerment:

Jennifer Lopez (pictured below) donned a bodysuit, as well, but with a plunging neckline, fishnets, and thigh high leather heeled boots. JLo was already under fire for her performance on the family-friendly show, Britain’s Got Talent, earlier this week where she wore a similar racy outfit.

Why are we playing up the idea of a dominant woman as a leather-clad domineering sex symbol, while trying to promote equality at a benefit for women and young girls? When we depict a strong independent woman in the media, why does she have to be either: highly sexualized and objectified or men’s-wear clad and androgynous?

On the other side of the spectrum, why shouldn’t Beyonce and JLo be able to wear these outfits if they choose to? They have the right to celebrate their figure and define their features. Female empowerment also includes the freedoms of how women treat, clothe and make decisions about their own bodies.

Many say that the provocative factor of the performances detracted from the overall message of the concert. However, it also challenged us to take a stand and advocate universal rights for women around the world. So while these ladies may have raised much controversy, they also helped raise awareness.

Who run the world? Girls.

Stephanie Fong

UC Riverside

Stephanie Fong is a second year Pre-Business major at the University of California Riverside. She discovered her love for journalism while writing for her high school newspaper. She is also the Director of Electronic Communications and a proud member of UCR's Delta Gamma. This adventure-seeking, cardio-kickboxing food-lover can't wait to share her stories with you!
UC Riverside

UC Riverside