Culture > News

What Overturning Roe v. Wade Means For People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

For many who live in the United States, it may come as no surprise that the overturning of Roe v. Wade is currently happening, as surreal as it may feel. The concept of Roe v. Wade has remained a divisive topic in American politics since it reached the Supreme Court decades ago. But, why are we talking about it now? And what does it mean for people in the future?

In case you didn’t know, the 1973 Supreme Court case, Roe v. Wade was significant in the sense that it challenged the criminalization of abortion in America. The outcome of the case resulted in the legalization of abortion across all fifty states. Earlier this week, a Supreme Court draft opinion was leaked and published by Politico, essentially stating that the appointed justices intended to overturn Roe v. Wade and have each state decide its laws regarding reproductive rights. With Texas, Oklahoma, and many red states prompting restrictions on abortions already, this potential decision leaves a domino effect of what will come. 

The World Health Organization reported that 45% of induced abortions performed in 2010-2014 were unsafe. There are many reasons why uterus owners may opt for this choice, ranging from financial instability to instances of sexual assault. With inflation, climate change, and many different factors that the general population cannot directly control, many may see having a child as irresponsible and unsuitable for them. It doesn’t help that most birth control methods have a chance of failing and getting sterilized as a uterus owner is a frustrating experience. The overturning of Roe v. Wade in the United States not only means that abortions will be criminalized in certain states, but the rate of unsafe abortions will continue to rise drastically. 

This change also leaves room for lawmakers to pick and choose who will receive adequate healthcare. With reproductive rights already being an issue, it leaves LGBTQIA people prone to being discriminated against with no repercussions. We already see this in places such as Texas, in which families of trans children are now being investigated by CPS for child abuse, let alone the lack of healthcare rights trans youths have in red states. Suffice to say, the overturn of Roe v. Wade can get much worse. 

So, what can people do? To start with, it’s crucial to follow a variety of reputable organizations such as Planned Parenthood, which intend to maintain reproductive rights for everyone. Additionally, make sure to support other communities that offer abortion services and assistance such as r/auntiesnetwork on Reddit

The world is a little dim right now, and things may get a little bumpy from here. To provide more resources and help for those who may need an abortion or assistance, here are some links down below:

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/get-care/our-services/abortion-services

Kayla Batchelor

UC Riverside '23

I'm an English major that is dedicated to writing about mental health, entertainment, relationships, politics, LGBTQIA+ issues, and literature.