This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

It seems like nowadays where validation often comes from how many likes you achieved on that recent #ootd Instagram post or how many retweets you got in an hour about that “hashtagAwkwardMomentWhen-nothing-awkward-actually-happened” tweet, there have emerged a slew of new annoying things people do on social media sites. Back in middle school it was people complaining about why they weren’t on your Myspace top 8. In high school it was friends hacking your Facebook and telling people you’d recently “became a fan” of sluts. Now as many of us have recently graduated college, or are finishing up, there is a wide mix of new things that I have found obnoxious about our arguably top 5 social media outlets. In no particular order, let’s begin.

1.       Snapchat

For the most part, girls are terrible snapchatters. Myself included. Why do I want to see 8 variations of 6 second snaps of your face looking something like this:

Get creative. Make them laugh. Try this.

But please don’t snap me a picture of your food. I really don’t care what you’re going to poop out in a few hours. 

Unless you’re going to be on Epic Meal Time. That would be dope.

2.       Twitter

SO MANY RETWEETS… oh, but wait, I can turn those off. Victory is sweet.

[pagebreak]

3.       Instagram

Okay when the hell did this become Tumblr? Memes don’t belong here. Or iPhone notes saying “who up? hmu.” Take that ish somewhere else. Don’t be trying to make me read on Instagram. I thought it was a fun way to share pictures, not novels.

Let’s not forget the #ootd posts!

4.       Vine

Damn you, new updates. Thanks to Vine’s developers we can now “revine” people! I hated your retweets on Twitter, what makes you think I want to see your revines? If I wanted to see those funny Vines, I would follow them. Not to  mention “Best Vines” on Facebook has already shown me the cream of the crop. I’ve seen it. Stop. 

And who can forget the “woo” girls? You know, the ones who are out at the club and “wooo!!” At the bar and “wooooo!!” Even at the car wash they’re like “WoooOoooOoooOoooo!!!!” C’mon, I know you know more words. 

5.       Facebook

Honestly, let’s just burn down this website. Nothing good has come of it since 2011.

Finally, don’t let cynic like me tell you what to do. Twinstavinebook it up as you see fit. But will be reporting you.  Fair warning. 

Lia Gonzalez

UC Riverside

Lia Gonzalez is a Creative Writing major at UCR. She is an alumna of Alpha Chi Omega, in which she held various positions. She was one of the first to write music related articles and artist interviews for HC - UCR. Read more of her articles by searching: Lia Gonzalez, and Music Spotlight.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside