christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What Happened When I Tried Tinder for a Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

What would happen if you could find love with a simple swipe of the finger? With approximately 50 million users worldwide, Tinder makes this possible. The social dating app was launched in 2012 and has grown into one of the most popular dating application of this generation. Using GPS from a mobile device or computer, you can easily connect with others in the same area.

Last week, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and created an account. In the first five minutes I had seen as many as fifty profiles flicker across my screen. There was an addictive quality I immediately noticed: the elimination by rejection and subsequently, the awkwardness of letting someone down easy. Since you are only notified when you ‘match’ with someone, or have a mutual liking, the app allows you to be as candid or reserved with your likes and dislikes as you please.

As a poet, one of the best messages I received was a pick up line in the form of a poem. Although cheesy, you have to give him points for trying and double for taking the time to rhyme; needless to say, it was a great laugh.

(By Samantha Park)

My personal favorite part about Tinder however, were the diverse biographies, especially the ones written purely for comical effect such as the one below.

(By Samantha Park)

So whether you’re searching for true love, a short fling, or just there for a good laugh, Tinder is a great way to meet people you normally wouldn’t. At the very least, you’ll find a Valentine’s date.

Samantha Park

UC Riverside '22

Poet || Writer || Editor Find me somewhere drinking coffee and reading Sylvia Plath
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.