A Week’s Worth of Healthy Eating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Hello HC Cuties! So in continuation from my last article “10 Resolutions you should make for winter quarter” I said that one good goal to make this quarter was to eat healthier. For many, making the resolution to go to the gym every day is daunting, especially since everyone there looks like they know what they’re doing and you’re just staring in awe at their glistening muscles, asking yourself how many push-ups and crunches you have to do in order to look like that. That’s why it’s better to start off small.

As a commuter, eating healthy is an even harder goal to keep because of the temptation of eating out and grabbing junk food at Scotty’s whenever you get hungry. Or even just being too lazy to get up and actually make yourself healthy things to eat. Although it may be easy and cheap to get a $5 combo of tacos/Chinese food/burgers, it eventually starts adding up (money-wise and weight-wise). So here I’ll include some easy ideas of things you can pack for a snack or lunch every day without breaking your wallet or your health goals.

MONDAY

Snack: Bagel with and fruit

Whenever I’m in a hurry and don’t have time to eat breakfast (especially on those pesky Monday mornings), I always make sure to grab a whole-wheat bagel. You just pop them in the toaster and add whatever you want on top, whether it be peanut butter and bananas or ricotta cheese and strawberries. Plus, you might be able to fool yourself into thinking that you’re eating a donut.

Lunch: Tuna salad with avocado

Although tuna salad is usually made with mayo, avocado is a healthier substitute that makes it taste even better (sorry, I’m a big avocado fan). To make the salad, get a can of tuna and discard the tuna juice. To the dry tuna, add half of an avocado and mash it all up. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish to your liking with nuts, dried cranberries, olives, etc. Eat with crackers, on a sandwich or however you want!

TUESDAY

Snack: Hummus with pretzel chips

Pretzel chips by themselves have always been a little blah to me so why not have them with some delicious hummus? To make a basic hummus, add 1 can of chickpeas, 1 clove of garlic, ¼ cup of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to a blender/food processor and blend until you achieve the desired consistency. Refrigerate and pack in a container to enjoy with your pretzel chips!

Lunch: Grilled cheese

Who here isn’t a fan of grilled cheese? Because I have some bones to pick with you, buddy. The thing I love about grilled cheese and sandwiches in general is how versatile they are. There’s just so many ways that you can spice up a single sandwich! For this particular one, add some slices of fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil to whole wheat bread. Toast to your liking.

WEDNESDAY

Snack: Yogurt with fruit

Yes, we’ve all heard of Yoplait and the 700 different flavors that they have, but they get tiresome after a while. I like to buy Greek unflavored yogurt, which sounds like it would taste bad but it doesn’t have to! Just add a drizzle of honey and some slices/cubes of your favorite fruit and there you have your very own personalized yogurt!

Lunch: Turkey wraps

I don’t know about you guys, but one time I had the turkey and swiss rolls that they sell in the refrigerated section of Costco and I fell in love. For weeks after, I would beg my mom to buy me some but she would say no since they only came in party platters and were really expensive. So I figured, why not make my own? All you really need is a tortilla, some slices of lean turkey, your choice of cheese, and anything extra you might want to add (like avocado). Who needs Chipotle when you can wrap your own burritos?

THURSDAY

Snack: Apples and Ham

When I was smaller, I used to eat hot Cheetos wrapped in ham (please tell me I’m not the only one who did this). Sounds gross but I guess it tasted good to my ten-year old palate. This is the healthier alternative that weaned me off of my addiction. Just slice up some apples into thin slices, add a small slice of cheese on top and wrap with ham!

Lunch: Quesadilla

Quesadillas are like the grilled cheese sandwich’s Latin cousin because they are also extremely versatile! If just plain cheese doesn’t appeal to you, try adding some cubes of grilled chicken, slices of onion and a drizzle of barbeque sauce to spice up your quesadilla!

FRIDAY

Snack: Ants on a log

This used to be my favorite snack as a kid, and nothing has changed now that I’m in college. Just cut up some pieces of celery (or apples if you’re not a big celery fan), add some peanut butter and throw some raisins on top. It’s that easy!

Lunch: Pasta with veggies

You might be thinking, “How can pasta be healthy? OMG so many carbs!” Well my friend, let me tell you that you can have some cheat days too as long as you don’t over-cheat. Yes, having too many carbs cans be bad for you but if you use whole-wheat pasta and add vegetables like red bell peppers or mushrooms you should be good to go!

So there you go, a whole week’s worth of healthy lunch choices that help keep your tummy and your wallet full and satisfied! Comment down below what some of your favorite recipes are or how your New Year’s Resolutions of being healthier are treating you!

Healthy Eating, HC Cuties!

*Disclaimer: I am not an expert, nor do I claim to be one. All opinions are my own. Consult a doctor for professional nutritional advice. 

Darcie Chapman

UC Riverside

UC Riverside

UC Riverside