TV Shows That De-Stress During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Being in quarantine these past few weeks have been difficult for everyone. Adjusting to life indoors can feel confining and stressful, and many of us have been rewatching our favorite series non-stop. However, this is also a time of reevaluating our habits and looking at the world and at our lifestyles in a different perspective. Here are some television shows that introduce us to new perspectives.

flat screen TV photo
Jens Kreuter

1. Tiger King: Murder, Meyhem, and Madness

Tiger King is a documentary limited series on Netflix that follows Joe Exotic the Tiger King. who owned a zoo of exotic animals: tigers, lions, ligers, and more. We see how Joe and his team care for the animals, but we are also introduced to his rival: Carole Baskin from Big Cat Rescue. This series brings intrigue, excitement, and awareness to the history and contemporary policies of private ownership of exotic animals in America. Tiger King is available to watch on Netflix.

2. Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a stark contrast to Tiger King. It is a comedy series about cops in the ninety-nine precinct of the NYPD. There is Jake Peralta (Andy Samberg) who brings fun and chaos to the precinct, Rosa Diaz (Stephanie Beatriz) is the mysterious and scary badass, Amy Santiago (Melissa Fumero) is the overachieving good girl, Charles Boyle (Joe Lo Truglio) is the awkward foodie, Gina Linetti (Chelsea Peretti) is an eccentric narcissist, Terry Jeffords (Terry Crews) is an intimidating yet protecting lieutenant, and Reymond Holt (Andre Braugher) is the stoic, “robot” Captain. The show succeeds in producing hilarious situations and running jokes, but it can also talk about serious issues like feminism, racial discrimination, and representation for LGBTQIA+ people. You can binge B99 on Hulu.

Glitch Man
Giphy
3. RuPaul’s Drag Race

RuPaul’s Drag Race is a reality competition show where drag queens compete to become America’s Drag Superstar and win other prizes. Throughout each season, new queens come on to capture our hearts, show us amazing fashion, and entertain us with challenges that determine their place in the competition. Hosted by RuPaul, the show demonstrates LGBTQIA+ representation and an appreciation for drag performers across the world. Binge seasons 1-6 on Hulu.

Hola! I'm Julissa Guerrero Iniguez. I attend the University of California Riverside as an English major and Latin American Studies minor. During my free time, I like to read and do DIYs.