spain barcelona abroad street buildings europe cars landscape pretty city .pdf
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Tips For Off-Campus Housing Hunting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Looking for Off-Campus Housing is not a topic that is often covered when talking about moving to college. But with the housing crisis, as of 2023, more than 9,400 University of California students were forced to look for off-campus housing. It can be stressful to have to look for off-campus housing when it wasn’t in your plans, and oftentimes when we are in these situations we fail to consider how to make the best of our living situation.

Here are some things you might need to think about:

1. Consider the type of unit you want to live in

Do you want to live in a house or an apartment? How many people do you ideally want to live with? Do you want to share a room or have your own? All of these things should play a big part in your decision-making process. Also keep in mind how realistic your ideal is, meaning that if you want your own bed and bath, it would probably be more expensive than sharing a bath. Once you figure out what’s right for you then you can start looking at your options.

1. Consider the area you want to live in

This is not a common variable that’s thought about when looking for a place to live near a college campus, but your living experience will change depending on the area you live in. If you want a quieter area then you might want to consider living in a more residential street, but if you prioritize the social experience then living near the university village might be right for you. If safety and being able to take a walk at night is a priority then that should also be considered. Also, think about transportation, would you like to be within walking distance from campus, or do you have a car and need to live in an area with lots of parking? Using websites like Zillow are a cool asset for looking at the pros and cons of potential neighborhoods.

1. Reach out to potential landlords

This last tip is a crucial part of apartment hunting. DO NOT sign a lease without talking to the staff/landlord first. When you think you’ve found your dream apartment this step can be easily brushed off, but talking to the staff can show a lot about what you are going to get yourself into. When you reach out, take into account how they treat you and how helpful they are. Also, think about how easy it was to reach them. This can make or break your living experience because you might, for example, need to call maintenance, and if they are not treating you correctly now then the situation will probably not improve. If it’s an apartment, you can also look at Yelp reviews to take a look at the experiences of past tenants.

Overall, keep an open mind and try not to make any impulsive decisions. Good Luck! :)

Hailey Moreno

UC Riverside '25

I'm currently a third-year Sociology major at UC Riverside. I love all things pop culture, writing, and music!