timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things to Do If You’re Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

It’s Valentine’s Day season. You’re bombarded with red and pink decorations and chocolate the minute you walk into any store and it seems like everyone is coupled up. However, as much as it feels like the universe is throwing the fact that you’re single in your face, it’s really not. Being single, even though the Valentine’s Day season, can not only be special in its own way, but it can even turn out way more fun than being in a relationship. Here are a few ideas to get you started.

Photo by Georgia Vagim on Unsplash

Have a Movie Marathon

Sometimes, a day in watching movies starring your favorite celebrity heartthrob with your friends is the best way to spend the holiday. You can make a trip to the grocery store and pick up your favorite snacks to enjoy throughout the day. You order a pizza and just laugh or cry and spend the day with your closest friends.

Take Advantage of Couples Deals

During the Valentine’s day season, many businesses offer couples or two for one deals in order to cater towards couples. But just because these deals are intended for couples doesn’t mean you and a friend can’t reap the benefits of the deal either. Take a friend with you and go buy a two for one movie ticket or enjoy a couples massage at your local spa. You can essentially enjoy a full day of treating yourself, for half the price!

Babysit

If you absolutely can’t find or want to do anything, it’s worth to think about babysitting for a couple. Babysitters get booked up quickly for this night and a couple’s regular babysitter could already be booked. It’s an easy way to make some extra cash, and if they like you enough you could even find yourself having a new job after the end of the night!  

Photo by Kelsey Chance on Unsplash

Throw a Singles Only Party

If most of your friends are single and find they have nothing to do on Valentine’s Day, throwing a party for “singles only” is a great way to all get together and have a good time. Put out some snacks, turn up some music and mingle. You can tell your friends to bring their single friends and who knows? Maybe you’ll meet your next year’s Valentine.

Have a Girl’s Night Out

If you and your friends don’t feel like staying in, go out! Make a reservation for dinner or dance the night away. The possibilities are endless and it’ll make for a memorable night. All that really matters is that you all are having a good time.

Valentine’s day can make you feel bummed if you’re single, but you don’t have to feel that way. You can still have an amazing holiday with your loved ones and create memories that you’ll talk about for years to come. Valentine’s Day 2019 will be a blast, regardless if you’re in a relationship or not, so take advantage of the holiday and make it your own!

Genevieve Ortiz

UC Riverside '23

.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.