The Song of the Summer is in Olivia Rodrigo’s Hands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Pop singer-songwriter Olivia Rodrigo’s debut album, SOUR, made quite the impact on the summer of 2021. The eleven song record featured several of the summer’s biggest hits that are still popular to this day. From the first single “drivers license” to the opening track “brutal,” SOUR quickly became a quintessential teen pop album. 

Discussion about Rodrigo’s followup album has been ongoing for nearly two years. What is she going to release next? Is the album going to be called “Sweet?” (Okay, that one is a little ridiculous.) These are just a few of many questions that will be answered very soon. Based on clues from Instagram, something is coming June 30, just in time for the summer season. 

Aside from the Instagram post, other clues, such as the countdown on the Olivia Rodrigo website, point toward a song release at the end of this month. While it probably is not the whole album, of course, it is the perfect moment to get the first song from her sophomore music installment out in the world. 

While it is a valid question to be wondering what the album will be about or how it will compare to its predecessor, it should be expected this album will be at least slightly different. SOUR was an album made throughout the time Rodrigo was still on the show High School Musical: The Musical: The Series and relied heavily on teenage angst and heartbreak. It’s been several years since and it will be great to see her touch on new experiences in her music as her career has grown so rapidly. 

If you have been looking for a song to define your summer, Olivia Rodrigo has (most likely) got you covered. With a couple more weeks until the 30, there is plenty of time to prepare and maybe re-listen to SOUR to build up the anticipation.

Alyssa Gordon

UC Riverside '24

Hi, I'm Alyssa! I'm a fourth-year Media and Cultural Studies major with an English minor. I love anything pop culture and baking related. When I'm not writing, I can be found reading or rewatching episodes of my favorite 2010's sitcoms.