Life > Experiences

The shorter person’s survival guide to the mosh pit

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

There’s nothing I adore more than a mosh pit at a concert. Since most of my favorite bands tour in smaller venues, there’s often so much space for a great pit to open up for people to dance, let out aggression, and bond. But it can be a little frightening as a woman if you’re newer to the mosh pit scene, especially if you’re a bit on the short side like I am. The crush of bodies is all fun and games, but knowing the proper etiquette and keeping yourself safe while doing it is difficult. If you’re nearing your first small show and want to feel prepared, this one’s for you!

1. Don’t let your height stop you from getting into the pit

Letting go of those inhibitions can make your first time in the pit so much more enjoyable. When you’re shorter, you run the risk of elbows hitting you easier and not being able to get as much fresh air if the crowd around you is quite tall. However, the vast majority of people at small shows will help you out of the pit if you need it. If you’re not ready for the circle pit, stay on the edges and help push people back in the pit or stay on the edges where you can get out easier if you need to!

1. Invest in a fanny pack or a small RFID travel bag

One of my biggest fears is losing anything valuable to you in the pit, so I recommend you come to them with only what you need (ID, credit card, cell phone) and put it in a small bag like a fanny pack, or a tiny RFID purse that fits under your shirt. Bringing bags or anything hanging into the pit has the potential to be unsafe, as it could hit somebody or get you caught. Keeping only your most valuable things close to you and in a bag that won’t move around offers peace of mind for you and safety for all.

1. Keep a good stance to keep from falling over

Although the number one rule of mosh pits is to pick up anyone who falls over, it can be scary falling down. Keeping a wide-ish stance – your feet extended just out from where your hips are – as much as possible, planting your feet on the ground, and keeping your forearms and elbows out at the ready to gently push people back who might lean back on you are all good ways to keep yourself from falling. If you’re running around in the circle pit, make sure to keep a sturdy run to try and avoid falling. Be careful not to elbow anyone intentionally, unless that’s the kind of pit that you’re dealing with.

1. Abide by the rules of the pit!

Know the kind of show you’re going to. If it’s indie rock, there probably won’t be a pit of any kind, and if it is, it might be very chill without much fear of getting shoved. If you’re going to a pop-punk or emo show, there almost certainly will be a pit, but normally they’re push pits with an occasional circle pit. Hardcore or metal shows may or may not feature kicks, punches, and walls of death, which can be very intense if you’re not expecting those; I recommend only getting involved in these if you’re okay with getting body slammed in some way, and to know that it takes some getting used to. And of course, pick up anyone who falls, turn on your phone’s flashlight to help someone who’s dropped something, don’t lose your shoes (if possible), and have fun!

Mosh pits are a great way to bond with a crowd and feel a broad sense of community at a concert. If you’re lucky enough to be going to a show that has one, keep these tips in mind and you’re sure to have a blast.

Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
Evelyn Homan

UC Riverside '24

Hiya! I'm Evelyn, and I'm a fourth-year English & Creative Writing double major, as well as an Honors student researching independent studying in the 21st century. I love literature, midwest emo and goth rock, alternative fashion, and talking. A lot.