The Mandalorian Season 3: A Disappointing Continuation of a Fantastic Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

WARNING: this article contains spoilers about the Mandalorian/Star Wars series

Over the course of these last eight weeks, I have been keeping up with The Mandalorian Season Three, mostly because I am a long time Star Wars fan and because I was a huge fan of the previous two seasons of the show.

However, I felt that this season simply did not wow me in the same manner as the other two seasons did. 

Now, I will admit that this season had a high standard to reach, mainly because of the way the first two seasons took time to flesh out the father-son relationship between the two main characters: Din Djarin/The Mandalorian (Pedro Pascal) and Grogu (also known as Baby Yoda). I still remember all the tears that I shed during the season finale of season two, because it was just THAT heartbreaking to see that after all this time, they had to be split up so that Grogu could train with Jedi’s and reach his full potential.

But, I felt like the biggest shortcoming of this season was that it was trying to create a story out of issues that really felt like were already resolved in Season 2. By doing so, it lost the charm that the previous two seasons carried in the first place.

More specifically, I found it annoying that the reunification of Din and Grogu and the undoing of many of Season 2’s biggest twists did not even happen in this season of the show. Instead they, it happened on a show connected to the Mandalorian/Star Wars universe, The Book of Boba Fett. 

In my opinion, the creators choice to include such essential points for the Mandalorians story in a different show ultimately led to this season not really having much serious events going on, plotwise. While the show did attempt to draw attention to other events happening in the universe, these attempts fell flat for me. Honestly, it really felt like this season was mostly Din and Grogu roaming around the universe doing chores, which made it feel really dull. 

I will say that I did enjoy the acting of the season though (Pedro Pascal never misses and unlike a lot of people, I did enjoy the Jack Black and Lizzo cameos). I also did enjoy getting to learn more about Bo Katan Kyrze, who is a lost queen aiming to reunite the Mandalorians. And, even though the moments were minimal, I did enjoy the scenes we did get between Din and Grogu, they were just too cute. 

But, overall, this season of the Mandalorian simply just pales in comparison to the amazingness that were the first two seasons of the show.

Brinda Kalita

UC Riverside '24

4th year history major with opinions on anything and everything