Thanksgiving and Food Insecurity in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

With fall quarter (or semester depending on where you’re going to school) about to end, lots of students are looking forward to winter break and the holidays. Students are also looking forward to something a little closer than Hanukkah or Christmas: Thanksgiving. While seldom celebrated for its” historical” significance, Thanksgiving now symbolizes exactly what it’s named, giving thanks for your family, your friends, and every opportunity that’s crossed your path this year. Another huge aspect of this holiday is the food. Whether your family does turkey or ham, lots or no veggies, canned or homemade cranberry sauce, many students are looking forward to sitting down at the table with their whole family this upcoming Thursday to enjoy a good meal. However, this is not the case for all students.

(Photo via UCR Basic Needs)

While the term “starving student” is often casually thrown around when describing the college experience, for some the description is all too true. Food insecurity, or the reduced quality, variety, and desirability of a diet and/or disrupted eating patterns or reduced food intake, runs rampant in universities throughout the United States and is especially prevalent in the UC system. 42% of students surveyed in the UC system have experienced food insecurity. At my school, UC Riverside, the problem is even more pronounced, with 62.5% of surveyed students reporting food insecurity. What the stats show is obvious; a lot of students are not sure where their next meal is coming from, or are not sure they are getting adequate nutrients.

What does this have to do with Thanksgiving? Students who experience food insecurity often come from families who share the same struggle. These students may not be going home this week to an overindulgent home cooked meal. This holiday, all about food and abundance and being thankful, not only sheds light on a system-wide epidemic, but also on ways that other students, faculty, and administrators can lend a helping hand.

(Photo via UCR Basic Needs)

Helping students experiencing food insecurity does not require large monetary donations or even volunteering hours of your time (although there are lots of great organizations to donate both to). Spread the word about local, easily accessible community resources to your peers, friends, and strangers. A post on social media, or just relaying information about the resources that are available to them is a great way to do some good. At UCR, we have an on campus food bank called R’Pantry that provides free food, produce, baby products, and more to all levels of students, and there is a good chance that your school has something similar. Students Against Hunger reported that over 200 colleges and universities have an on campus food pantry. So do a little research, spread the word, and do some good this holiday season.

Isabella Guerrero

UC Riverside '21

A writer learning as I go.