Sweater Weather is Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Winter is not officially supposed to arrive until December 21st but it is already starting to get chilly here in Southern California, 60 degree weather is a big deal. As a women living in SoCal, I find this time of year to be one of the best times of the year. Not because of all the great holidays coming up, but because of the amount of things I can get away with when its cold rather than blazing hot and in Riverside, blazing hot weather is usually the norm.

My coffee addiction is more acceptable.

During the holidays, Starbucks brings out the red cups — which to a certain degree marks the official start of the cold weather. Now, since I am a regular at Starbucks no matter what time of year it is, I no longer look like a coffee addict because my regular coffee visit ends masking my addiction for the bare necessity of keeping warm.

Getting up late never looked so good.

When I’m running late to class or my alarm clock didn’t go off on time, I don’t have to go to class looking like a hot mess in times of chilly weather. Winter weather calls for lots of layers so I don’t have to freeze my butt off and when it’s cold out I find it easiest to slip on a cute sweatshirt, a pair of leggings and my fuzzy moccasins and I’m out the door. Also, in times of a bad hair day I become grateful for the invention of beanies so that way no one would ever know that I only had 5 minutes to change and get to class.

Low electricity bill

When you’re on a college student budget, money is not wasted on electricity. In the summertime, while living in Riverside, spending money on air conditioning is a necessityn the wintertime, however, I can save lots of money cuddling with layers and layers of blankets.

I may be just biased but sweater weather is definitely better.

Mia Garcia

UC Riverside

UC Riverside

UC Riverside