This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

This summer is going to be much different from the last which allows me to come up with different ideas and things that I would like to do. The reason for this is that most of my friends and family are now vaccinated, so seeing each other isn’t going to spread COVID-19. Here are some of the things I can’t wait to do.

cottagecore
Photo by Jing Xi Lau from Unsplash

Go on picnics

Since I live in a place that is very hot most of the time, I love going on picnics in the summer wherever I can find some shade. I also have more time in the morning to spend with my friends during a time that is a good temperature and we can just relax.

Go college shopping

With the way that things are going right now, I will be able to go back to school in September. Going back to school shopping will be fun since I haven’t done it in about two years. By going shopping I will be able to hang out with my college roommate and see what we both want to have in our apartment as well as find my own little style that I would like to add to my room away from home.

Woman sitting alone on beach
Photo by Cody Black from Unsplash

Go to the beach

I am always cold and so I tend to never go to the beach unless it is during the summer. I am glad to finally be able to go this year because last year the beaches were closed for a while and when they did open my family and I were scared of going due to the number of people there. This year most people that are going to the beach I go to are vaccinated and so the risk of obtaining the virus is less. Apart from that this year I am going to try and actually go swimming even if the water is cold!

friends with arms around each other
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

Seeing friends from college

During the summer, I have more leisure time to hang out with my friends and drive farther than where I am right now. I am able to spend more time outside since the sun is out for a longer amount of time. Apart from that since I have a very long summer, I will have a chance to see people who I haven’t seen since the pandemic began.

These are some of the things that I am looking forward to this summer since many things are going back to semi-normality. It allows me to get more used to going back to college and allows me to feel comfortable with the changes going on.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.