Student Homeless Aid Relief Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

It’s spring time, are you looking for something spectacular to become involved in? Whether you’re just the average Joe looking for a place to meet new people, or you’re searching for an organization that contributes back to the community, Student Homeless Aid Relief Project (S.H.a.R.P.) is an on-campus organization you should check out.

S.H.a.R.P. is not only a fun place with warm, welcoming members and officers, but its outreach services are fun as well! Every other Thursday, S.H.a.R.P. packages sack lunches for the less fortunate of Riverside that include peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, a banana, a granola bar, and a bottle of water. Additionally, S.H.a.R.P. puts together Ziploc bags of dog food for pet owners who cannot afford to feed their dogs, as well as hygiene kits that aid the less fortunate in maintaining their grooming and other personal matters. The following Saturday morning, S.H.a.R.P. members congregate and carpool to Fairmount Park here in Riverside. There, members distribute the sack lunches, bags of dog food, and hygiene kits. The recipients are always receptive and extremely thankful, which teaches one to be grateful for their fortunate position and not take things for granted. S.H.a.R.P. members have mentioned, at times, how they felt a sense of personal satisfaction for helping the less fortunate express sympathy for their less fortunate lifestyles.

Every other Wednesday, during non-packaging weeks, S.H.a.R.P. also volunteers at a soup kitchen located in downtown Riverside, in the First Congregational Church. There, members help distribute food, beverages, clothing, and hygienic items to the less fortunate. While volunteering at the soup kitchen, formally known as Project Food, members have engaged in interesting, yet touching, conversations with some of the less fortunate visitors. Besides the humanitarian efforts that S.H.a.R.P. engages in, S.H.a.R.P. also hosts social events for its members. With all that being said, why wait? See for yourself and join S.H.a.R.P. and its humanitarian efforts! For those who are interested, contact sharpucr@gmail.com for more information.

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.