Reneé Rapp Is A Performer To Watch!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

You might already be familiar with 22-year-old Reneé Rapp, an up and coming actress and musician. After she won the Jimmy– a national musical theater award for high school students– for Best Actress in 2018, Rapp landed a leading role on Broadway in Mean Girls as Regina George. Mean Girls closed as a result of the pandemic, but Reneé Rapp was just getting started. Just seven months later, Rapp was cast as one the leads, Leighton Murray, in Mindy Kaling’s HBO Max dramedy series, The Sex Lives of College Girls. The show has gained traction and solidified a fanbase, and Reneé Rapp’s character has stolen the hearts of many as the queer, wealthy, headstrong, and at times, vulnerable college student.  

Rapp’s charisma makes her a popular TikTok creator as well, allowing her to develop a fanbase and gain popularity in a multitude of ways. Aside from showcasing her comedic talent and down-to-earth personality, Reneé Rapp has also used TikTok to promote her own music. Her debut single, “Tattoos” was first teased on April 7, 2022 and officially released in June. Since then, she dropped two singles from her debut EP, Everything to Everyone, and then released the entire EP on November 11. 

Reneé Rapp announced a short tour of just seven performances to celebrate the release. The tour kicked off on December 6 at The Troubadour in Los Angeles. She played two shows, one at 7:30 PM and the other at 10:45 PM, which were Rapp’s first ever performances of her own. I had the opportunity to attend the late show, and it was one of the best concerts I have ever attended. She took the stage with confidence and a powerful stage presence. She played her cathartic and emotional hits, creating a space for her fans to truly feel her music. Not only were her vocals impressive and compelling, but she was a magnetic force that commanded attention. She wove her songs with comedy and interactions with audience members, bringing the venue to life. It was refreshing to witness an artist so in tune with her audience. The entire experience felt less like a formal concert, and more like a celebration of good music with your friends. 

Reneé Rapp’s ability to become a star on stage, on screen, and in music all within a few years and at such a young age is truly remarkable. She is certainly a performer to watch as she will undoubtedly continue to be successful in her future projects.

Kiana Sardari

UC Riverside '24

Third year Media and Cultural Studies and Global Studies double major. Probably at a concert right now.