In Remembrance of Daft Punk Splitting Up, Here Are Some of My Favorite Songs From the Iconic Duo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

A saddening day for many, iconic French electronic music duo Daft Punk split up on February 22, 2021, after making music for 28 years. Widely known for being a staple in electronic music, the two have produced and created some of the most memorable hits by incorporating all different types of music elements. Given that the two will no longer be making music, I wanted to look back and share some of my favorite songs of theirs that I loved listening to in honor of them. 

One More Time 

This song by Daft Punk has always been a favorite of mine and immediately makes me want to shout the lyrics. “One More Time” gives me such a nostalgic feeling as soon as I hear the intro play and it reminds me of my middle school days when people used to shuffle to it. Their performance of the song (video above) shows how amazing their stage design was and makes me have wanted to see them live. 

Around the World

On the day the two split, I could not get these three words out of my head. As soon as this bop starts, I want to dance and just have a good time. “Around the World” is a perfect listen that demonstrates how Daft Punk incorporated elements of funk into their music. 

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

This song is a prime example of how superb their sampling skills were. By using Kanye West’s “Stronger,” Daft Punk changed it up with their own unique style and made it a fan favorite.

Veridis Quo

A more mellowed out tune, “Veridis Quo” begins very softly and begins to sound futuristic as it builds up and progresses. After rewatching, the music video hits even harder now and makes me feel as if I’m watching the final scene of a movie. 

Their dramatic exit and heartfelt goodbye in their Epilogue can be seen here where the ending of their song “Touch” plays emotional lyrics saying: “Hold on, if love is the answer, you’re home” declaring the end of the two unforgettable French robots whose musical legacy will live on. 

Jasmine Aguirre

UC Riverside '21

Hi! I'm Jasmine (Jay) & I'm a 4th year Media & Cultural Studies major. I aspire to communicate through written word, in hopes that we can all learn something along the way & I love sharing all of my interests. I have a huge passion for anything music related, as I want to someday become a music journalist.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.