Quarter –Life Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

After a lot of speculation and observation, it seems as though a lot of college students tend to go through something called the “quarter life crisis”. This crisis is composed of constant worry about the future, and the tiresome fret of where our lives are headed and whom we will end up being in the future.

As a third year, I’m constantly conflicted about what lays ahead, where I am headed, and what it is that I want out of this life. While pursuing a B.A in Philosophy, a lot of people always ask me what I’m going to do in the future, what sort of job I plan on attaining, they pretty much want to know how I’m going to support myself with such a limited career choice. The truth is, I’m not sure where I’m going, or what it is that I’m trying to pursue. I think a lot of people worry too much about the destination instead of investing in the process.

Currently in one of my philosophy classes, we are learning that time is an abstract measurement of “on-going nows”. The “now” that just happened, and the “now” that you will be in tomorrow. These “nows” are what is important. Fulfill these “nows”, pack in as much you can into each now, so each day you go to bed knowing you’ve done everything that you could have done. Don’t forget your “nows” are limited. If you don’t know what you currently want, don’t be afraid to experiment. The only way to know if something is truly for you is to try it out. Honestly, you really won’t know what you do or don’t like until you’ve tried it. So go out there and experiment! Life is about creating yourself and figuring out what it is that fits you best.

The only way to predict the future is to create it” -Buddha.

The future will get here, but for “now” lets all just be optimistic and be the best “you” that “you” can be each day. Your destination will eventually get clearer as time passes. If you are currently lost at sea, just keep paddling, and I promise, your island is a lot closer than you think. Work hard, be thankful and don’t forget to give back. “Remember, it’s not about what harvest you reaped today, but what seeds you’ve planted today.”

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.