Not just for Nana: Why you should pick up handcrafting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Even before I taught myself how to knit, I knew I wanted to learn how. I come from a long line of creative women in my family, with skills ranging from oil painting and macrame to crocheting and sewing. I asked for my first pair of knitting needles for Christmas of 2018 and taught myself how to do a garter stitch within the same afternoon. I had my first ever scarf a few weeks later. Nearly five years later, I admittedly still work mostly on hats and scarves (nice sweater yarn is expensive and cable needles scare me), but nothing brings me more joy at the end of a long day than to sit down and create something with my own two hands. 

Handcrafting got a boost in popularity during the pandemic, and not without cause; it’s well-known that crafts like crochet and knitting are proven to help relax the brain and body simultaneously (that is, if you’re not working on an incredibly complicated project). The repetitive motions of yarn crafts lull the brain, and if you’re a fidgety person like me it can be nice to have something in your hands to keep you focused. When you start getting the hang of some stitches like purling and garter, you might find yourself able to even watch a TV show or listen to an audiobook while you work. But if you’re dedicated to carving out some time for peace in your day, you can very easily do nothing but focus on your stitches if you so desire.

If you’re put off by the idea of knitting or crochet because it seems like an activity only your grandma does, I can promise you that there are thousands of people all over and of all ages who partake in this wonderful craft. There’s a wonderful community of people on Instagram ranging from indie dyers like Red Door Fiber Studio to accounts for pattern inspiration.

Not only is knitting genderless and ageless, it’s also practical. I can’t tell you how much I’ve saved on really cute scarves and beanies that I’ve found at the mall that I’ve been able to make myself for the cost of some acrylic yarn from Michaels (which isn’t the nicest yarn ever, but it gets the job done for me). Once you develop the skills to make your own clothes, you honestly hardly ever go back to buying designer knitted goods. Plus, you get the feeling of making something amazing for yourself! If you’re wanting a fun hobby that won’t completely break the bank, I highly recommend handcrafting anything with yarn. With all the benefits it provides, it’s hard to turn down the urge to get a hook or some needles and get going.

Evelyn Homan

UC Riverside '24

Hiya! I'm Evelyn, and I'm a fourth-year English & Creative Writing double major, as well as an Honors student researching independent studying in the 21st century. I love literature, midwest emo and goth rock, alternative fashion, and talking. A lot.