The New, The Old and The Things Unsaid: Freshman Tips on Health and School

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

It’s that time of year again, the time to welcome new students!

As an incoming first year, you may have some concerns, what with being mostly on your own and having to build up from where you are. Maybe you’re one of the first years worrying about the “Freshman 15”, or maybe you’re one of the first years worrying about the newest college trends? Well whatever your worry is, don’t. We tend to over exaggerate and over analyze things that don’t particularly matter in the world we live in. With that being said, yes health is important! Yes, personal style is important!

The “Freshman 15” is no rumor, it is very much real and it is very much roaming around looking for its next vulnerable victim. But rather than trying to make yourself as thin as possible this year, look into making yourself as healthy as possible. The “Freshman 15” can easily be avoided if you maintain a similar diet to the one you had at home and don’t over indulge in junk foods, what with all your new found freedom. Also keep in mind that the gym is easily accessible, find something fun that will keep you healthy and stick with it!

New trends are always popping up. After a week or two, another outrageous trend will come around and kick you in the wallet. Instead of worrying about fitting in with everyone else that is wearing the exact same ridiculous thing, this year you should work on finding your own personal style. Experiment with different looks that you might like and find one that makes you feel completely and utterly like yourself. Nothing is more important than feeling like yourself. Remember that if your look reflects you and your personal interests, you will find other people who are similar to you.

Beside all these usually superficial things that we worry about, college is the most forgiving of environments. People are different and our experiences and upbringings are too. While living and studying at UCR remember to be open minded about positive things: new music, new interests and new people, don’t sit around wasting away, be bold and be you!   

just a preamble
UC Riverside

UC Riverside