This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The hit 2010’s sit-com show New Girl has been available on Netflix for a decade. Given the streamers’ accessibility and the show’s continuing relevance in pop-culture, this is how a lot of people binge watched the show following its final season in 2018. With a cast of lovable characters led by Zooey Deschenal and plenty of endearingly comedic moments, it is hard not to consider New Girl an essential comfort watch. 

Last week the heartbreaking announcement that New Girl would be leaving Netflix for Hulu and Peacock came as a shock to many. However, Netflix has been losing their staple network sit-coms for quite a while now. The Office and Parks and Recreation both were on the streamer for a long time, but eventually moved to Peacock. 

Even though Peacock is less widely known as a streaming service, it seems like the place to be for comedies with several seasons these days. Unfortunately, Netflix appears to be gravitating more and more toward only showcasing their original content. It is good to know that New Girl will still be available to watch in its entirety, especially since it is one of those shows that makes for a wonderful rewatch even when you have seen it before. I know I will be opening up Hulu more often now. 

For those who have never seen the show, now might be the perfect time to watch. New Girl leaves Netflix on April 17 and then it will be obtainable to a new audience of viewers when it shows up on the other streaming platforms. Despite being a long term loss for Netflix, the switch in services may be an excellent way for fans to get reinvested in the series as well. 

It has been five years since the New Girl finale and it is still rightfully adored by the general public. I’m sure the show will do just as well on Hulu and Peacock in the very near future.

Alyssa Gordon

UC Riverside '24

Hi, I'm Alyssa! I'm a fourth-year Media and Cultural Studies major with an English minor. I love anything pop culture and baking related. When I'm not writing, I can be found reading or rewatching episodes of my favorite 2010's sitcoms.