My Top 5 on Gracie Abrams’s Debut Album Good Riddance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

At the end of February, singer-songwriter Gracie Abrams’ highly anticipated debut album, Good Riddance, was released. This new set of twelve songs offers an honest yet melancholy energy lyrically and sonically while still holding its own in the pop genre. A few stick out a couple of weeks post release, so here is my top five. 

5. “Difficult”

As the first single of the album, “Difficult” exhibits an upbeat tone in contrast to candid lyrics. The strong beginning line, “My double vision is only amplifying everything he isn’t” is enough to solidify its spot in my favorites.    

4. “Full machine”

In “Full machine” Abrams delves into the subject of codependency through heartbreaking and captivating singing. Lyrically, the song describes the push and pull between two people in a way that is impossible not to connect with. 

3. “I know it won’t work”

Although most songs on Good Riddance lean toward a mellow sound, “I know it won’t work” is another addition that balances this out with its catchy chorus. When you listen to it, you can’t help but sing along and feel the emotions of the song. 

2. “The blue”

Being one of the few truly “romantic” songs on the album, “The blue” displays a sweet account of the beginning stages of a relationship. With a pretty melody and a relatable concept, this has to be one of the standouts on the album.   

1. “Best”

It is fitting that “Best” is the first track on this album and the first on this list. The song opens the record with Abrams sincere lyricism, expressing regret for not treating someone “the best.” A theme of reflection is recurring throughout the track list, making this a perfect opener.  

Gracie Abrams’ evolving sound from her previous EP’s Minor (2020) and This is What it Feels Like (2021) is very much present in her latest musical endeavor. Candid lyrics and breathy vocals are her thing and with Good Riddance, she has proven to be one to look out for in pop music.

Alyssa Gordon

UC Riverside '24

Hi, I'm Alyssa! I'm a fourth-year Media and Cultural Studies major with an English minor. I love anything pop culture and baking related. When I'm not writing, I can be found reading or rewatching episodes of my favorite 2010's sitcoms.