This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Interest in Korean pop culture and health products has exploded recently in the West, especially with the rise of K-pop, which is a style of Korean music that features groups that sing, dance, and maintain a lot of media contact with fans. As someone who has always been interested in different languages, when I began listening to K-pop, I found myself interested in pursuing other entertainment involving the Korean language. This led me to K-dramas – an inclusive name for most Korean TV. I found myself readily enjoying the style of acting and writing employed in Korean shows, and even accidentally got my mom addicted to them (sorry, Dad). In any case, if you find yourself wanting something different than Hollywood-type acting, or you’re looking for good international shows, here is a countdown of my top 5 K-drama series.

5. Bride of Habaek:

This story follows a water god (Habaek) who has been thrust down to earth in search of the sacred stones he needs to become king of the gods. Almost immediately he discovers the descendant of the servant of the gods– but neuropsychiatrist So-ah doesn’t recognize him. In fact, she tries to take him on as a patient, believing that he’s struggling with a mental health disorder. With tons of unique characters and quirky side couples, this is a must-watch show for me. The only reason it’s not higher up on the list is because I find So-ah to be difficult to emotionally invest in at the beginning. She’s not the most believable or understanding therapist… but I think this flaw lends itself to her character as she grows.

4. Kingdom

If you’re into something scarier, try Kingdom. Set in the historic Joseon period, this zombie K-drama transforms a traditionally hyper-modern genre into something older, deeper, and much more frightening. As a fan of zombie flicks in general, I truly loved how Kingdom came up with its own rules and lore behind the zombie epidemic. Additionally, while I am a sucker for a good love story, Kingdom’s focus on the zombies and turbulent palace life was just as thrilling. Kingdom has a follow up movie as well, because viewers just couldn’t get enough!

3. The Legend of the Blue Sea

I am currently watching this drama, and I already know it’s in my top three K-dramas of all time. A fated-lovers story, Legend of the Blue Sea follows Heo JoonJae, a hypnotist/conman, and the strong-willed mermaid he discovers one day in his vacation home. Cheong tries to find her way through human life as Heo JoonJae fights to figure out why this girl is so odd… and why someone is after both of them. This K-drama is unique because it flashes back to the main casts’ past lives– where their fates seem to be parallel. With constant plot twists, shifting character dynamics, and endless laughs, this K-drama will capture your heart by episode one.

2. Strong-Girl Bong Soon

For a long time, I was sure Strong-Girl Bong-Soon could not be topped (it almost can’t, but we’ll get to that last one). I had never witnessed two actors with more chemistry between them than Park Bo-Young and Park Hyung-Sik. In this urban fantasy story, the protagonist Bong-Soon tries her whole life to hide the mysterious magical strength the women in her family have. One day, her strength is witnessed by a young CEO, and he employs her as his bodyguard (an odd sight, since Bong-Soon is pretty petite). Where this drama excels is in its comedy and its plot. I feel like most dramas either have relatable characters and funny moments, or a solid plot that keeps you engaged. This drama has it all: Bong-soon’s near obsessive crush on her childhood friend/police officer, the near misses of her strength being revealed, and the CEO’s strange habit of riding a hoverboard everywhere are hilarious, but at the same time, the scenes of the villain– a man that has been kidnapping young women– are dark and tense. The viewer is desperate to see who gets the girl in the end, and if the kidnapper is caught! Beloved by many, Strong-Girl Bong-Soon spawned a new series this year as well, Strong-Girl Nam-Soon.

1. Healer

This romance-action-thriller is my all-time favorite K-drama. When my mom sat me down and told me she wanted to watch a show from 10 years ago named Healer with me, I was skeptical. “It’s one of my top shows,” she said. “Strong-Girl Bong-Soon! Bride of Habaek!” I countered. But the magic of the show unfolding, the obsessive binging, and falling for my favorite actor in the world topped it all. Healer follows two or three main characters. Ji ChangWook plays Jung-Hoo, codename “Healer,” who works semi-independently as a night-errand boy. Essentially, he’ll do any job, no matter how illegal, as long as there is no killing. Chae Young-Shin is a young reporter, determined to follow in the footsteps of famous journalist Kim Moon-Ho (who we also follow somewhat). Eventually, we uncover how all of these people and their families are connected, and the murder(s) and plots that brought their lives to where they are today. Filled with mystery and twists, Healer does an exceptional job at keeping the viewers entertained. Additionally, the romance between fantastic actors Ji ChangWook and Park Min-Young (playing Chae Young-Shin) is adorable, giving you that kicking-my-feet, screaming-into-a-pillow feeling. I will recommend this show to anyone who will listen, from fans of thriller and action to lovers of romance and intrigue!

Caroline Lesser

UC Riverside '24

Hiya! I'm Cal, and I'm a fourth year Creative Writing major at the University of California Riverside. In addition to writing and editing for UCR's chapter of HerCampus, I'm focusing on my honors capstone project. I love cozy video games, tea lattes, crochet, and language learning. Aside from articles, I write horror and fantasy.