This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

My Thanksgiving tradition isn’t the same as everyone else’s; it was when I was younger but has changed throughout the years. Back when I was in elementary school my grandparents moved back to Guatemala and so spending the holidays as a family completely changed for my family. We would no longer have a huge gathering since everyone was going their own way, and so it was harder to continue the tradition.

lots of pie
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash
That did not stop my mom from trying, she tried inviting a few people here and there, but after a while, she gave up because no one else was trying as hard. For example, my dad just stopped trying one point and preferred watching TV or have us all go out for a drive. Within the past few years rather than having no destination, we go on a two-hour drive to find outlets to go shopping at for Black Friday. This has become our new tradition to go shopping with one another on a cold night.

At that point my family and I actually decide to shop until we drop. Since we don’t do a big Thanksgiving dinner, we get to the outlets around either 9 pm/10 pm and don’t leave until like 5 am. We even end up taking layers of clothes because we know that it will get colder throughout the night and do not want to freeze. Like I remember there was one year where it was super cold so my mom wore two long sleeves and a hoodie and jacket, while I barely wore any layers so halfway through the night my mom had to give me some of her layers to warm up. I would have bought more clothes, but I was waiting in line to get into the store.

This is not the average thing that most families do, but it is the newest tradition of my family. I like it a lot because even though we are not doing the “typical tradition,” we are spending time with one another and laughing or talking about some random topic. It makes me truly appreciate the time I spend with my family and also learn about the different things they like to shop for.

It does suck that this year that will no longer be possible since most Black Friday sales will be online this year. Hopefully, we can all watch some cute holiday movie together while having our electronic devices out and ready to get the best deals of the season. Here we’ll be much warmer inside, rather than shopping in the cold and still be spending some quality family time with each other.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.