My First 5K and Why YOU Need to Sign Up for One!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Race registration: $40. New running shoes: $90. Necessary adorable running shorts: $12. The feeling I had when I crossed my first finish line: Priceless.

I recently participated in the Southern California Color Run, also known as the Happiest 5K on Earth. Every kilometer there was a color checkpoint where you had volunteers throwing powdered paint at you from all directions. You started the race dressed in all white, and by the end were covered head to toe in color. At the end of the race, there is a giant color toss where you will literally be jumping and screaming for joy while dancing in a rainbow cloud of color. Sounds awesome doesn’t it? Here’s a video I took of the color toss when I participated in the Color Run three weeks ago.

You most likely don’t know me so let me give you a little background on who I am. I don’t work out….ever. I hadn’t ran prior to this race since my sophomore year in high school, which would make that four years ago. I am so incredibly unathletic that I recently twisted my ankle while crossing the street. But let’s get to the point. If I can participate in a 5k, anyone can!
5Ks are 3.1 miles in length and many aren’t races at all, but more about enjoying the experience of it all. There are plenty of reasons to register for one of these runs. It’s good for your body, many donate part of the registration fees to local non-profit organizations and it gives you an excuse to browse the oh-so-adorable work out clothes at Forever 21. But most of all, they are incredibly fun!

Below are 5Ks I have either participated in and enjoyed or that look too awesome to pass up. I will actually be participating in my second recommendation later this month.

1. The Color Run is a fun new 5K that is taking over the United States. The organizers of this race are travelling around to all the major cities. They will be back in Southern California in November so look them up because registration is already open and sure to fill up fast.

2. Ridiculous Obstacle Challenge
This 5K can be compared to the game show Wipeout. The course has 20 obstacles scattered around, ranging from the world’s largest inflatable slide, three story high fire poles, and a polar plunge. Also, people make it their mission to dress up the the craziest of costumes for this race. There are photographs of people doing the obstacle course in their wedding dresses.This race is taking place on May 19th and 20th and registration is still open!

3. Run for Your Lives Zombie 5K
The title of this race is pretty self explanatory. It’s a course set in the “wilderness” where all along the path zombies are trying to attack you — in this case, take your three flags. This race is taking place nearby in October, which is just in time for Halloween. If you are a zombie fanatic or just looking for something a bit dirtier, this is the race for you.

My personal tip for signing up for a race is to do your research. There are so many options to choose from and the sooner to the event you register, the cheaper registration will be. Also, forming a team of usually four or more people will decrease the price. So pull out your old running shoes and get together with some good friends to run the most fun three miles of your life….well, until your next 5K.

Links to 5k recommendations
http://thecolorrun.com/
http://rocrace.com/
http://runforyourlives.com/

Rubi Mancilla

UC Riverside

Rubi Mancilla is a fourth year studying Psychology and Women's Studies at UC Riverside. She decided to double major because at the time it seemed like she was getting two degrees for the price of one, the ultimate sale! She writes about relationships, how to spend a Friday night at home, being a confused twenty-something and never having enough money in her bank account. Her column 'Midweek Study Break' is published every Wednesday but you can read more of her work in her new project, When Life Gives You Rubi. Until Disney decides to make a movie about how hard it is to be a recent (single) college graduate, we can try to figure out this whole being a grown up thing together.   
Monica Pena is a sophmore at the University of California Riverside and is originally from the valley of San Fernando in the city of Los Angeles. Monica and her room mate Nicole Danille Matinez both enjoy writing and are now Co founders of the UC Riverside Her Campus Branch. Monica dreams of moving to New York and going to Law School. Aside from Law school, she is a fanatic of fashion and writing and also wants to pursue a career in journalism.