This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

At the beginning of this year, I planned to read books in different genres and push myself out of my comfort zone. I started listening to audiobooks and reading a variety of young adult and adult novels. Now that the year is coming to a close and I reflect on what I have read, I have chosen a few favorites. 

Confessions of an Alleged Good Girl by Joya Goffney 

In her second book, Joya Goffney explores the story of the main character, Monique, and her experiences as a teenage daughter of a preacher in Texas. Filled with important conversations regarding sex and relationships, Confessions of an Alleged Good Girl displays an authentic portrayal of multifaceted teenage feelings. I listened to the audiobook and it was equally funny and enlightening, depicting layered friendships and a nuanced family dynamic in a genuine light. 

Beach Read by Emily Henry 

While the title of this book may sound like a lighthearted summer read, Beach Read navigates topics such as grief and loss through the circumstances of protagonist January and her love interest, Gus. January and Gus are both writers dealing with writer’s block as well as unraveling their own personal histories. Their story is relatable, emotional, and heartwarming all at once, making it one of the most impactful books I have read this year.

Parachutes by Kelly Yang

Told in a dual point-of-view format, Parachutes follows an exchange student from China who is sent to the United States and lives with another girl her age. The book thoughtfully examines power dynamics and relationships, including the role money plays in both of those concepts. Claire and Dani’s characters serve as a highlight due to their distinctive voices and personal growth with themselves as well as with each other.     

Better Than the Movies by Lynn Painter

Technically, I read this at the end of last year, but I loved it so much I had to include it on this list. Better Than the Movies shines for being a new age romantic comedy with adorable characters and excellent use of all the fun tropes romances are known for. Liz and Wes’s story is a mix of enemies to lovers and fake dating, which makes for an entertaining plot and a relationship you can’t help but want a happily ever after for.  

There are so many books that came out this year or within the past few years that are amazing and tackle complex topics. I tend to gravitate toward romances and contemporary fiction, so my favorites capture that.

Alyssa Gordon

UC Riverside '24

Hi, I'm Alyssa! I'm a fourth-year Media and Cultural Studies major with an English minor. I love anything pop culture and baking related. When I'm not writing, I can be found reading or rewatching episodes of my favorite 2010's sitcoms.