Must Do’s While Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I am a total advocate for studying abroad. It is a once in a lifetime experience, so if you can fit it into your schedule, DO IT!!! For those of you who are currently studying abroad, I hope that you have as much fun as I did. I just came back to California about a month ago, and here is some advice that I would like to share.    

1. Try to go to as many tourist destinations as possible! It’s fun being a tourist and actually going to the places that books and locals recommend.
  2. Make friends with the locals and have them show you around. First off, it is good to make friends with the locals because you can practice the language and learn more about their culture. Secondly, there are a lot of great places in residential areas that travel books don’t mention, so don’t miss out.
  3. Make friends with other exchange students. This is a great way to become a worldlier person. You will absorb so much knowledge about things and people you never knew about. It’s fun, I promise!
  4. If you have the financial means then try travelling out of the city/country that you’re at. Weekend trips are really fun!
  5. Don’t be shy! Be adventurous and try new food. This may be really hard for some people, but you can start off by trying the popular snack at the country you’re at, there has to be a reason it’s popular right?
  6. If dorming is an option, I would recommend it. This is the best way to meet locals and other exchange students. Also, you will be closer to student life and the activities going on around campus.
  7. Learn about special events being held in your area. Going to an expo or concert can be really exciting. I knew that most of the time, I was told by others what was going on. However, read the posters around the streets or public transportation and search it up online when you are bored.
  8. I know that with a lot of people who are studying abroad their classes/grades probably mean nothing to them. (Sadly, for my program every grade transfers *sad*). However, although you may be tempted not to, GO TO CLASS. It might be interesting, and even if it’s not, you can compare work ethics between the different students. And going to class is an excellent way to make new friends in class.
  9. Want an easier schedule? Then take classes for exchange students.
  10. I know a lot of people who started blogs half way into their trip. I would recommend that you continue writing your experiences down throughout your whole stay and be sure to take lots of pictures. They will be fun things for you to look back at.
Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.