This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

April showers bring May flowers! And it also brings Mothers’ Day, that special day in May where you get the chance to celebrate your mom! Although you should always celebrate family and love, this day is extra-special. I know we all get busy with school and work and boyfriends or girlfriends, and sometimes it’s hard to show Mom how much you care about her. Luckily, we get this extra day to celebrate and remind her how much we love her! And there are a ton of creative ideas you can use as gifts! I know flowers are so cliché, but let’s face it, they always brighten a girl’s day! No matter what age they are, girls love flowers. Even better, get your mom her favorite flowers in a lovely new vase. If you want something fun you two can do together, go for a spa day! Nothing leaves a girl feeling brand new like getting manicures and pedicures with a cute flower and your favorite color. Or you can give your mom a gift certificate so she can go later. If your mom is more technology advanced like us, maybe she’s been eyeing that new iPhone? Or if she is constantly complaining about her laptop, a cool iPad would be more her style? I’m sure she’ll love it just as much as we do. 

You can also try jewelry! What girl doesn’t want it? And to make it more special, your birthstone could be on it along with the birthstones of your siblings if  you have any. It’s an adorable gift idea that all mothers would surely love. If you’re running on a budget, skip the cheesy Mothers’ day cards they sell and make your own! I’m sure she still has the ones you made her when you were little, and it would be another special one to add to the collection. You can write your own poem, or just write a letter saying all the things you are grateful to her for. Buy some cute stickers of her favorite things and maybe even print out a picture of the two of you to put inside. She’ll love it! If you can take her out to lunch or dinner to her favorite restaurant, or make something new you heard was especially delicious, she’ll love the attention and the time you two get to spend together!

If you’re mom has a sweet tooth, you have to buy her favorite chocolates or candies for her. Or wake her up that morning with  breakfast in bed!  Then snuggle up and watch one of her favorite movies. This would be a fantastic way to start Mothers’ Day. Or if you can’t see your mom till nightfall, take her out to see a new movie and buy her popcorn and tons of junk food. It will be fun and satisfying! If you’re of the state for school or your mom lives in another city or state that’s far and you won’t be seeing her this Mothers’ Day, like is the case for me, you can send her a cute Mothers’ Day Box filled with little things to put her a smile on her face. I’ll be sending my mom one of these (and I have before) and trust me, she absolutely loves it! Good luck with your Mothers’ Day gifts, and I’m sure all mothers will love everything you give them, even if it’s just a simple hug.

Always,
Julia

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.